Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Crow Hunting

Crow Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about crow hunting here.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:22 PM

Default Season update

Thought I would give an update on how my season was goin... Duck season is over now so I'm back on the crows. I'm sitting at 130 for the season had a 27 bird shoot this mornin could've had more but with wide shots and tree limbs I screwed myself but still a good day. Gonna break out the 20 ga in the am. Drop in say hello let's hear how your season is going
Old 02-13-2016, 12:40 PM

Sounds like you are doing well commander. Our season has been kinda slow. They picked up but they wised up way quicker then we had hoped. We have been trying new ideas to try and decoy them better, as well as experimenting with new loads. We did however enter our first crow hunt and out of 25 teams we placed 3rd. We were pretty pleased with that.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 PM

Good deal gob shame we don't have crow hunting contests down here I reckon that's an up east thing, shot fifteen this mornin before the wind screwed us up too bad. I can really tell I've hunted these birds hard bc I'm having to finesse call these and let the decoys work however these are some of the best decoying crows I have hunted feed call to 100 yards kill the call and they'll float over the top of the decoys 20 ft high or less
Old 02-13-2016, 08:22 PM

We have really never had any luck decoying birds, just pass shooting. We are trying some new ideas. Also the crow hunts are a ton of fun. The nice thing about them is everyone wants to win but nobody goes serious or cheats, just a great time. Lot of bars, vfws and sporting goods stores put em on up here.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
We have really never had any luck decoying birds, just pass shooting. We are trying some new ideas. Also the crow hunts are a ton of fun. The nice thing about them is everyone wants to win but nobody goes serious or cheats, just a great time. Lot of bars, vfws and sporting goods stores put em on up here.
I truly believe the only reason these birds are decoying is because they can see the dekes for such a long distance here. They have a mile to half a mile to drop air so a lot of times there on the deck when they get to us... I don't hav the same decoying success in woodlots or small fields. Some fields crows don't call well on even though they look perfect these I avoid. But I love the idea of hunting contests, good fun getting to know other hunters but hey what's wrong with a few bragging rights