Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Tips From the Pros

Tips From the Pros Get valuable knowledge from the best in the business! Read enticing articles and ask questions here.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Coyote 101?

Hello from central NC, I've been hunting since I was a kid but new to this forum and game calling. We seem to have a problem locally with some coyotes' so I'm reading all I can on the "how to" of hunting them and was wondering if maybe some of the experienced hunters would consider posting a "coyote 101", "fox 101" etc. for people like me. Share the knowledge and I'll do the same.

Nice to be on board, looking forward to getting to know some of you.

Dave
Old 11-01-2009, 03:16 PM

There are links to tutorials on Foxpro's main page. Videos are a good way to "see" how it's done.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Looks great, and I did learn from watching the videos, but I still think a how to would be good. I saw "sun to your back" and "down wind", I heard the rabbit in distress and then the pup in distress on one of them, but I'd never have known that if I hadn't listened to the sounds file. How about the howl the hunters did to stop them for the shot.

Thanks for the info,

d
Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM

OK, start with know where your coyotes are! So you know your approach in relation to the wind and sun if any. That gives you an advantage right off the bat! Harder to be backed doored that way.

Place the caller away and upwind from your location, knowing a high% of called in coyotes will circle downwind, they will take the shortest route "most" of the time to get down wind. Use terrain to your advantage, make sure you have a 180 degree view of the area in which you expect those coyotes to come from. Don;t allow them an unseen avenue to your location!!!!

Keep as low a profile as you can, if I have good visability I'm layiong prone, a more solid rest and better, if not then sitting and shooting sticks, but use the avilable cover to your advantage. Keep your vehicle hidden and be as quite as possible, don't skyline yourself, act as though they are watching you because at times they just might be. I alwasy give it 2-3 mintues in amore highly visable area before I start to call.

Sounds run the gambit time of year and life cycle of a coyote plays into it. Think of it as creating a scene, your trying to get those coyotes to come investigate, knowing the coyotes will make this far easier than stressing over what sound did the guy in killin all coyotes use to bring them in. Make the stand to play out at this time of year your a young coyote and your stealing the food bank. Add in some crow sounds and the party is going on without you guys. I have no problem using different distress sounds on the same stand and have success, coyotes have a poor short term memory, greed is a major factor in a coyotes life, the more coyotes the more this greed factor comes into play and the more agressive those dominate coyotes will be.

Distress sounds are great and work alot of the time, adding coyote vocals helps as well, using younger coyote sounds when unsure of the age class of coyotes your calling to makes for a better stand than blowing them out with I'm a gruff Ol' dog lookin to kick your little butt.

Let them come in, don't get to excited watch their body langauage and they will tell you alot. Keep them gussing and when there under 150 yrds lower the volume or use a lip squeak a hard sound for them to resist. Remember a coyote has excellent hearing and can pin point sound very well. If their commin let them come, to stop them I just use a bark or whistle at them. They may be comming dead on into you but most inside of 70 yards will start to hook downwind if not before, it seems it is harder to stop them the closer they get at times. Weapon choice can make a differance or not shotgun or scoped rifle. Hard to get a coyote even in 6 power at 15 yrds, then the shotgun is the true winner, my point is stop them at a comfortable distance. A pair or more try and take the furthest one that is stopped, the others will give you a chnace alot of the times by hitting ki yi or pup in distress on exit.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 PM

When I first got into it, I was completely clueless, and knew nobody who could help me; but, I found this website and just started reading about, which helped a bit:

http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/

This is a decent website that will give you the bare-bone basics:

http://www.freecoyotehuntingguide.com/
Romans 1:16
Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 PM

Thank You Adccoyote and Elkoholic307... Wow, Lots of good info here. I have a neighbor (who owns the land I get to hunt) that told me today to please wait for Jan 1st, the end of deer season before I try the call. It's his land so I must comply, but I'll be reading all I can until then.

Thanks again,

PS here is the sound from another neighbors back yard. No picture, How many do you think are out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eLCqP3NXV8
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to EMORY JOSEY

could be as few as three.....doesn't take many yote mouths to form an orchestra.
emory josey
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM

I think there are 4.
Romans 1:16
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 AM

D9INGER - ADCCOYOTE is dead on in his advice to you. Excellent input!!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 AM

Nice post adccoyote! Sounds like you may have been doing this for a while. I learn something new everytime I go out and call. I also learn quite a bit from reading this forum.