Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 PM

Default Other sounds and strategies ?

We've all been there at one time or another....coyotes that sound off close by in the dark but refuse to commit. Last night on my second set I backed myself into the shadows from the full moon light and had the wind in my face and 50 yards of field in front of me before some woods..couldn't have been more perfect. I used two sequences both gleaned from the pages of Andrew Lewand's Predator Hunters Playbook. The first with baybee cottontail, titmouse tantrum, and finishing with platinum grey fox distress for a total of about 20-25 minutes. Waited 5 minutes in silence then went to my second sequence consisting of male coyote howls, female yodel howls, finishing with coyote pup distress 3. By now I have 1 hour on stand but that is pretty much the norm for me in the terrain of NE PA. You never know what is lurking "just around the corner" so patience is a virtue. Although both sequences have produced "eyes", answers and shots, but nothing last night. When this happens I always play C33 Male Coyote Long Howl 1 one time before picking up. Last night the woods the woods erupted in front of me. At least 2-3 coyotes treated me to a serenade from the woods in front of me, so close I felt like I could spit on them. I went to my usual strategy: 10 minutes sit quiet then pup distress 3 so I can just barely hear it followed gray fox screams (low) and finally vole squeaks. 10 more minutes of quiet. Packed it in after that-total time on stand 93 minutes. Here is my question: What different calls/strategies do some of you guys use on close up yotes that won't commit? My strategy listed above works about 30% of the time when wind and cover are in my favor. Thanks in advance for your calls/stategies you wish to share.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:22 AM

Default Different Calls

Have had some luck going to a different pup distress, Randy Anderson , Varmit Al or Western Rivers. Also have got some stubborn ones commit using some type of coyote fight and challenge howls.

Ill Dog Chaser
Old 02-21-2019, 03:16 PM

I think 1) being full moon its harder to pull them out into the open. 2) Their in the woods looking out maybe they didn't see anything and were somewhat reluctant to show themselves. 3) After throwing everything at them, I don't think you could of pulled them out. 4) Jack rabbit sounds have always drawn more coyotes for me then any other. After listening to it for awhile I want to go and kill it myself Lol.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM

I have had good luck with pup distress. It seems like any time I can't get them to cooperate, pup distress does it. That said, in this situation, when nothing seems to work, I have tried some sort of fighting sequence, just to try something out of the norm that most people wouldn't use, and or adjust the volume. Sometimes simply dropping the volume can be a huge help.
Mark
Old 02-25-2019, 08:46 PM

Thanks guys. I re-read part of Andrew's book today and am going to put a "bark sequence" into my fusion to try the next time I get howled at during the late season when they are call shy toward the end of winter.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAnightstalker View Post
When this happens I always play C33 Male Coyote Long Howl 1 one time before picking up. Last night the woods the woods erupted in front of me. At least 2-3 coyotes treated me to a serenade from the woods in front of me, so close I felt like I could spit on them. I went to my usual strategy: 10 minutes sit quiet then pup distress 3 so I can just barely hear it followed gray fox screams (low) and finally vole squeaks. 10 more minutes of quiet.
When the 2 or 3 coyotes treated you to a serenade from the woods in front of you, so close you felt like you could spit on them. I would have instantly challenged them back with Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound on full volume or Pup Distress 3 on full volume.

By waiting 10 minutes in silence those coyotes could have been easily a mile away in 10 minutes time.

If you instantly challenge them with Coyote Male Challenge 4 sound for about 30 seconds and then mute the sound and they go silent, then wait for about 5 minutes because they maybe on there way to you.

I have Pup Distress 3 and Male Coyote Challenge 4 on full volume as two of my pre-set sounds. I have had good results using these two sounds on full volume as soon as I hear coyotes.

Most of the male coyotes around hear sound just like the Foxpro Coyote Male Challenge 4 sound when they challenge me. It really ticks the male coyotes off if I instantly challenge him back. All of my coyote vocal sounds are set on full volume.

Three or four years ago, I had a coyote start screaming at me right after I started the stand with Pairie Dog Distress sound. I instantly went to Pup Distress 3 on full volume and had that male coyote within rifle range in no time at all. Below is the link to that hunt.

http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/...ad.php?t=11804

Last edited by derbyacresbob; 03-04-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Thank you Bob. I see your strategy is exactly opposite of mine. When I sat quiet and then responded at low volume, you immediately challenged back and loud. I will remember to try that at the next opportunity. Don't believe I have Male Challenge 4 so I'll have to order that one up. Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAnightstalker View Post
Thank you Bob. I see your strategy is exactly opposite of mine. When I sat quiet and then responded at low volume, you immediately challenged back and loud. I will remember to try that at the next opportunity. Don't believe I have Male Challenge 4 so I'll have to order that one up. Thanks again.
Male Challenge 4 sound can really work great in certain instances.

Many years ago when I was using a cassette caller I was hearing the male challenge sound from coyotes and I thought I was busted because I thought it was a warning bark I was hearing.

When I got my Foxpro caller I learned that what I thought was a alarm bark was really a male coyote challenge.

I have Male Challenge 4 sound as one of my pre-set sounds on full volume so I can instantly challenge a coyote back when I hear a coyote challenge me.

If you hear a coyote challenge you when you start out with a distress sound that means that the coyote that is challenging you thinks you and your caller is a coyote or coyotes.

If you get in a challenge match with a coyote and the coyote won't shut up or come in, that is when switching to Pup Distress 3 on full volume can trigger the coyote to come in.

Get to know what Foxpro's female and male challenges and screams sound like so you can scream back at them sounding just like them. You want to reply back to them as quick as you can so it sounds like you are replying to the sounds they are making.

Sometimes I have played Male Challenge 4 at the end of my stands and had a male coyote instantly challenge me back and then got that coyote to come in.

If you hear coyotes challenging you way off in the distance and you can cut that distance in half by getting closer and then challenging them again, do it.
It doesn't always work but it can really pi$$ them off and get them to come in at times because they think a coyote has moved in closer to them
Old 03-16-2019, 10:18 PM

Thanks Bob! I followed the link and that was great. Appreciate the details and I learned alot. I am such a rookie... to be honest I really doubt I would have recognized that as a challenge howl. But I know one thing, I already have Male Coyote challenge 4 on my 4th preset and coyote pup distress on number one. That is a great idea!