Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:43 PM

Default finally some stats from the Utah coyote bounty program

So there is finally some statistics from the 6 year study from Utahs coyote bounty. Officials are unable to see any real effects from the bounty program which has paid out over half a million dollars and claims over 91,000 coyotes were turned in during the last six years, when you add in the number of pelts from trappers it could reach well over 1000,000, this is a staggering number and far above anything I was thinking of. What they did find out was the corruption and fraud from the coyote hunters was so bad that they had to implement a training program to certify hunters and set up strict check in points. Once again the average non hunter gets this ugly view from the industry. There is no real evidence that killing large numbers of coyote from bounty's and or the contests has any real effect on the populations, don't get me wrong I have no problem if you want to go to a coyote contest shoot coyotes trying to win money prizes and get a belt buckle but lets be honest now, it has nothing to do with helping the rancher and cutting down on populations that just isn't the case. So here's the report from 2018 after 6 years of the Utah bounty program.
HERE'S THE REPORT:https://www.predators-west.com/the-blog
Old 02-20-2019, 07:01 PM

Good post --You hit the nail on the Head
Old 02-21-2019, 06:59 AM

How about this. Our state started having pig problems. All hunters were told you were not allowed to shoot a pig had you seen one. So the state hire 6 professional pig hunters from Texas and cut them loose. In 1yr. these boys shot a total of 9 pigs, the state paid them something like $330000.00. LOL.

One morning I catch the news. There's this politician on from one of the counties. He said, Our state complains they don't have money and they pull this sh*t. Why didn't they just give the hunters a pig stamp and charge them $5.00. More pigs would of been killed and the state would of made bank.
Now my take on it is this. Other then the people directly involved, GOD only knows the truth. But if this is true, then they should take all the people involved with making such a decision and put them on the other side of the wall. But we the people divided as we are can only bitch, complain, shake our heads and take it. **** like this happens in State.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:18 AM

What state are you in? This sounds nuts....
Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 AM

NY. The guns are real bad. If someone feels your a threat, they can call the police. If the police feel your a threat in anyway good buy guns. So don't drink and argue with your neighbors, apologize to everyone and keep your head down.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:45 PM

Sounds oppressive but I guess on the up side with that aggressive enforcement you must not have much gun violence up there.....
Old 02-21-2019, 07:59 PM

Lol. NY. well not too much around here, but the in the state, especially NYC would be a big yes.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Now that they see aggressive hunting will not lower the numbers enough the state will decide to introduce mange into the population. Here in Kansas we think that is what happened 10 years ago. Its also been rumored that the state released mountain lions to reduce deer herds. The truth is introducing mange in to coyotes probably increased the deer herd. 70% of the fawn crop can be taken by coyotes. If you deplete the coyote population you will surely increase the deer population.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:29 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Mange was originally introduced in Montana to kill wolves.

I doubt anyone is putting any budget towards anything like that today. If they wanted to do something illegal to get rid of coyotes there are vastly more effective methods available.

I had never seen mange on a coyote until last year. My partner and i took a family group coming in to the rabbit call (five came, four stayed). All four of them had a little bit of mange. First time we had ever seen it.

- DAA