Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM

Default mi wolf down

My client shot the 5th wolf in Michigan. I called one in for him on the second day of season with a Foxpro to 25 yds. The wolf came in behind us, seen us, and turned around to leave. The wolf was shifting in to second gear and he took a shot and missed. The look on my client's face when he seen his first wolf was priceless. His eyes were as wide as plates. Every morning I put him watching a roadkill, and I would go locate wolves in other areas. When I find them, and if they are in a good location, I would text him to start walking out, and I am on my way to pick him up to go calling. The third day of the season while he was watching a roadkill, an 80lb female came in and he didn't miss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 wolf 007.jpg (98.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 PM

I'm betting he's very happy now.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 PM

congrats on the kill get some more-----sb
Old 11-19-2013, 04:50 PM

Great job on the part of both the guide and hunter! Congrats!!

Can non-residents hunt wolves in Michigan? What should one expect to pay a guide?

Thx,

Steve/"Derm"
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM

yes you can the tag is 500 for nr . i am sure there will be alot of guides next year it will depend on the kind of hunt you want price would range from 500 to 2000 or more .i would make sure they are a predator hunter .
Old 11-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Great pic.....How did you know where to set up......Back ground please......which sound on the fox pro did you use when you called the first one in.

Hope you have great hunts in the future and your guiding service attracks a lot of customers

Great Hunting
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 PM

Nice. Good size for a female up here.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 PM

the opener of deer season was on the same day as the wolf hunt ,i knew all the extra people in the woods would send the wolves to what i call quiet woods,places where there are less roads or big chuncks of private property. i set up some baits in those spots for all the wind directions,i set my hunter at a spot and i will go find the other packs when i find them in a good location to set up to call them i text my hunter to start walking out i am on my way to get him . the one i called in was a lone male hunting, he was hunting rabbits in a swamp split by a river, the swamp runs east and west the wind that day was south west at 10 to 15 mph we had 2 inches of snow on the ground and it was in the 30s. the wolf was working the swamp from west to east i had an old 2 track on the north side of the swamp, so i knew as long as he didnt cross the road it was game on, we took of after him we didnt go far and i made our first set because i wasnot sure how far he was ahead of us i used low volume fawn distress for less then a minute wait for a few did this off and on for 30 min then went farther up the road i knew a gas pipeline ran into the old 2 track to make the swamp like a pie piece he could have crossed the gasline and went south but i didnt think he would the woods opens up more and has no cover for bunnies, i decided to make set number 2 where the gasline and road met if he came out downwind we could see 500 yds and the gasline is 30 to 40 yds wide when we got to this point i knew we either snuck by him or he was held up in front of us to the east was another big swamp it was 1:30 and i was thinking naptime for him if we did sneak by him i had a big hill on the gasline to our west 100 yds away he would stop on i set the call in the center of the gasline by a small pine tree on my stand i made 3 ft tall to keep the call of the ground. i started with fawn distress again that is my go to call i have called in several wolves ,coyote ,bear with that sound BUT it is the old fawn distress not the new one foxpro doesn't have it on the call list anymore i have called them and have not heard back from them on this ,anyway i started low volume fawn and 4 min in to the set he came out from the west between us and the hill at 25 yds my hunter tried to swing slow but we were busted as he was leaving he took a shot. i think the most important thing in calling any critter is to try to get to know the country before you go calling an area. and i never try to call a wolf untill i find hot trax or locate them and the closer you can get to them the better your odds .
Old 11-27-2013, 02:39 PM

WOW! thankyou for spending so much time on reply, I'm sure it is appreciated by all.......when you said you set up some baits. Were the baits not used parts from game animals from your guide service or skinned animals from trapping or predator hunting.....did you get any other takers on baits?

Is there much evidence of a coyote population where your hunting or have you see a decrease in population since wolves numbers increased.

Anyway a big thank you from all of the wolf hunters on forum. We love input from the field!

Good Guiding and Hunting
Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 PM

the baits are mostly roadkill deer,i have seen bobcat,martins,fishers,coyote,even some bear, they should be sleeping now but still a few up and moving,we have lots of coyotes around and they keep there distance from the wolves,i have seen a bigger decrease in bear numbers over the past 5 years, the wolves have learned how to take them out of the dens in winter ,and this year we have seen a drop in the moose too.