Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Night Hunting

Night Hunting If you're afraid of the dark, this might not be the right forum for you. If not, turn off your light and share your stories, post your photos, and ask away.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Default 2000 lumen red scanning light for $55!

For the predator hunter on tight budget I have came across an amazing scanning light that with a little redneck engineering and couple items laying around the garage, will produce a light that rivals anything currently on the market!

First start with a Stanley fatmax compact spotlight found in the automotive department at your local Wal-Mart (cost $49). This little beast has a 10 watt led that produces 2000 lumens in a brilliantly focused beam with just the right spill over to illuminate your target at 633 meters (no BS!, i can fully illuminate a tree line and identify/engage a target at 400 yds!) It's powered by a rechargeable internal lithium ion battery that can operate for up to 7 hrs on low & 1 hr on high. It comes with a wall and car charger. Best of all its compact...7.5" long with a 3.25" bezel diameter and a pistol grip with locking trigger and a thumb operated dimmer button.

Next comes the redneck egineering part that transforms this already great light into the ultimate predator scanning torch! While at Wal-Mart getting the light slip on down to the sporting goods department and grab a brinkmen red spotlight filter for $3.88. This is a great spotlight filter & has great clarity, light conversion & scratch resistant compared to other red filters on the market...the only problem is it is too big for the 3.25" bezel of the fat max.

To fix this once I got home I outlined the outside of the bezel with a marker on the center of the filter and simply cut it out using a dremel with the multi purpose cutting attachment. I finished the edges of the filter with the sanding attachment. Next i attatched the filter using 4 pieces of gorilla tape trimmed to fit in the 4 recesses of the outer bezel. Make sure to only tape the outer edge of the filter to avoid blocking the outer edges of the beam. To give it a finished look and further secure the lens, use electrical tape to wrap arround the outside of the bezel.

You will be amazed at the end result! A rechargeable, long lasting, compact, dimmable, red scanning torch that is capable of reflecting eyes out to 500yds and complete target recognition to 300yds with a quality rifle scope...ALL FOR ONLY $55!
President
Ozark Mountain Predators

RRA Custom Predator Pursuit
Remington 870 Sureshot Supermag
Hornady Ammo
Hevishot Dead Coyote
Swarovski Optics
Foxpro Firestorm
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM

Sounds Great, any pictures???
Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 PM

Default REDNECK COYOTE LIGHT A.K.A "THE JIM BEAM" or "STANLEY BEAMER"

Here it is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130207_110123.jpg (47.8 KB, 296 views)
President
Ozark Mountain Predators

Hornady Ammo
Hevishot Dead Coyote
Swarovski Optics
Foxpro Firestorm
Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 PM

I've been looking for a good scan light and I'm also on a tight budget I came across Noxx Red Dagger for about 60$ does anyone have any expeirence with these lights. They seem to be a pretty decent light
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM

Default Pic of light at nght

Kinda crappy pic but that's a 20 inch target at 100 yarda...and that's in a misting rain and a pic from a cell phone. Grear performance for $55!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130207_201425-1.jpg (12.3 KB, 223 views)
President
Ozark Mountain Predators

Hornady Ammo
Hevishot Dead Coyote
Swarovski Optics
Foxpro Firestorm
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM

I've always hunted on a full moon at night with no light. I couldn't resist and built the light you just posted on. I'm about to head out and give it a whirl. Just by shining the light off my deck I know I would see eyes at 200 plus yards. I like "the Jim Beam!"
Patternmaster choke tubes
Hevishot dead coyote
Savage bmag .17 wsm
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM

It says in the specs the light only lasts for an hour. I've tried to find replacement batteriers so you could have extras along but can't. Any idea wear they can be had?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 PM

Used the light last night and called in 2 coyotes that hung up at about 80 yards. The light easily picked up their eyes much farther than 80 yards even on low beam. I wish I could say that I pulled the trigger but only carried my shotgun last night. The light didn't seem to spook the coyotes at all. I had already taken 2 coyotes from this spot so they are a little spooky. The battery on the light is internal so their is no replacement that I am aware of. Light lasted fairly well but alternated between high and dim. I would recommend building 2 lights and alternating them while one charges in your vehicle. I would like a night force but MI law wording can be interpreted differently, depending on which conservation officer you talk to. This has to do with the battery type used or what is considered fully handheld. Good luck to all and shoot straight.
Patternmaster choke tubes
Hevishot dead coyote
Savage bmag .17 wsm
Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Awesome Goody! Im going out tonight. ..will post pics! Also im taking the light up to Batteries Plus to see what options are available to extend run time in the field. As it is I get about 3 solid hours of hunting in before the light begins to dim. Using the timer on my Foxpro remote, I call for a couple of minutes and scan...call a couple of minutes and scan. Having a pistol grip and trigger really helps. Also depending on the terrain I will use the dimmer to locate eyes first and bump to high to identify. This works well on most stands where I hunt in Missouri. On more open terrain I opt for the high setting but still only lock the trigger once I have identified my target and want to keep the light on him till I pull the trigger. Using this on/off approach & dimmer when applicable, will greatly increase your time in the field. Also as Goody mentioned if you are friving begween stands it comes with a car charger. It won't give you a full charge but will furthor extend your hunt time. Anyways in most cases the light outlast me and my frozen fingers and toes!

On a side note cold temps don't seem to effect its performance...granted the coldest I've used it in has been arround 20*F.
President
Ozark Mountain Predators

Hornady Ammo
Hevishot Dead Coyote
Swarovski Optics
Foxpro Firestorm