Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Default Rookie coyote hunter with wildfire2 NEED HELP!!!

Hey all,
I am new to this forum....and new to yote hunting. i live 20 miles north of dayton. I have been hunting coyotes for a couple months now with no luck. i have the wildfire 2 call and using a wildlife technologies green hunting light... the light and the call are great but i can never seem to close the deal....ill run the rabbit in distress or grey squirrel and the coyotes starting going crazy around me but they never show themselves.....if anyone can give me any ideas ....run time on the call, how often to spotlight, or what calls to use i would appreciate it ....kind of a bummer not getting anything and have been trying this long....
Thanks guys,
Dan
Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 AM

dan, dont get discouraged, this happens! even when your doing everything right this can happen. There is a reason that coyotes are called predators and not prey. They have a keen sense of when something is not right. Are you setting up playing the wind correctly? what kind of terrain are you hunting? for example, are you sitting on the top of a slope over looking a field and making your outline stand out against your background and the sky? Also, i know this is an age old debate and you will hear both sides of the discussion here, but i have found that my coyotes here FREAK when u put the green light on them. Try red. im positive nearly every coyote hunter here has had them going crazy around him and then had them simply dissapear. This happens! Why it happens could be any number of reasons, but the thing to remember is that they will very rarely throw caution to the wind and charge right in blind. They are normally patient, calculating hunters, and will take their sweet time working their way around what has got their attention to make sure its not a set up. They will always try to work their way downwind of you or the decoy, so make sure you take that into consideration when setting up. As for calling, again if you ask two guys here your likely to get 2 different views on this. i get in the stand, and let everything settle for 20-30 minutes before i start calling. sometimes longer. once i start calling i start out on a VERY low volume, and usually use a vole squeak, or some distress. the theory behind it is that if i have a coyote somewhere close and didnt realize it, if i start out blasting the distress call it may be so loud to that coyote that he thinks its a grizzly bear dying rather then a harmless old rabbit I usually try the low squeaks for a set or two, and then i shut down and wait a bit to see what shows up. If i have no movement or sign that anything is there after 30 mins or so, i then gradually start to increase the volume. Hope this helps a bit, and these are just my opinions and what has worked for me, i am by no means saying this is "The Way". Good luck!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:02 PM

im thinking that i am running the call entirely to loud from what you say works for you... and i have never used the vole squeak, but i definitly try that one out. As for the green light i was wondering if there was an issue with that also. I had 3 come in from 100 to 300 yards away from me but i was using a red light..... the only issue i had was the green gave me so much more yardage. I defintly appreciate the help i will be trying the next couple nights....
Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

It will never hurt you to run a couple series at low volume before you crank it up some. A lot of experts say that if a coyote is way off and hears a call because it is loud, he just equates that to the critter being closer. Don't know about that but being careful at the start of the stand is good business.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM

Once you start scanning, keep scanning continuously, with a relatively fast sweep. Try to use the edge of the beam for this, and then go full beam when you are ready to shoot. At night, the light is technically your camo. If you turn the light off, they may see you before you see them, especially if you have bright moonlight. Try non-standard distress sounds like kitten in distress as these coyotes may have been called before using more common sounds. I am still learning too, but these are techniques that I have used that worked for me.\

Good Luck,
Tim
Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM

thanks guy i will try all of this .....i recently got raccoon urine to try to help cover my scent so hopefully that will give me a advantage also.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM

DON'T count on cover scent. You have to set yourself up to where they can't get your scent. If they can get down wind of you in cover it doesn't matter what cover scent you have you won't see them. Keeping the light on constantly is very good advice and never burn them out till your ready to kill them.

Tags
coyote hunting, night hunting, wildfire 2