Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Default son and I were drawn for Oryx

http://www.hcn.org/issues/213/10797

we got lucky and were drawn for the badged Oryx hunt on white sands missile range in NM. we are excited about it. our hunt will be the month of sept. (weekends,holidays as long as no mission is going on). Not going to be able to call them.. but we we hunt hard and try to have two on the ground before the month is up. Now caliber choice.lol.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:51 PM

they are tough as nails. make sure your shots are spot on shoulder. magnums would be fitting, 7,300,338, should all suffice well. my father in law shot one in africa took 3 rounds from an 06 all in the boiler room. they are just tough.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 AM

There are a lot of them up there, I remember seeing them up there all the time when I was in the field with the army.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 AM

i had 2 buddies that went to africa hunting them 1 with a 7mm ultra mag and the other with a 338 ultra mag.. well long story short and the friend with the 7mm um shot 2 with no recovery. he decided to borrow the 338 um and that was enough to take them down with just the animal carryinf the bullet less then 30 yards most of the time... i would say go big. u cant kill them to dead
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Skelett-Oryx.jpg

Yes, they are tough. and most folks do not study what they are after. and hence shoot at them like they would most north american animals. and that does not work. I hope the foto of the anatomy of the oryx comes up. you will see the heart and lung very low in the animal, and the neck bone is well insulated from lion attacks.

I have guided folks since 1985 on the missile range for their once in a life time hunt of the beast. we have always said a 180gr bullet or better. and a 30-06 or heavier. I make copys of the animals kill zone and give to the hunter in advance. most still shoot high into the shoulder like they would an elk or deer....that does not work at all. and the chase / tracking is on. always have to do follow up shots if we can find the beast.

I have shot them with a 30-06 and barnes bullets, my .338-06 with barnes bullets and my 8mm remington mag with barnes bullets, my son shot his last one with his 7mm-08 using barnes. So far one shot one kill except with the 7mm-08, the boy child is young and his first shot was off hand at 380 yards. hit him well, but it ran and I had told him shoot till it falls. he shot three more times.all hits one not so good in the lower front leg.his shots were well into the 400yard range and we guess his last shot was 500 plus yards. he did very good. and one of the best I guided. he listened. he will do well again I am sure if we spot some. he gets 1st pick.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 PM

we will be in the north oscuro mts. wonderfull place at the north east end of the range.
have the 8mm rem mag ready. headed out in the mornin at 0 dark thirty.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Good luck, don't forget your camera and have a safe hunt.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Well, I went the bud I was with screwed the digital camera pics up some how. I do have good 35mm pictures to develope.

I was on the north end of the missile range while still dark in the area I was to hunt. so, I waited untill the sun came up and I could see. 20 minutes into the hunt I spotted 4 nice animals. and they took off running. I glassed them and thought I will look further. saw several more with broken horns are crooked horns. no body mass. this hunt is kinda drive around and get out and glass the areas. then put on a stock or have a rifle that will reach out there and unplug the computer cord of one of them big critters.
the morning turned out to be excellent. very cloudy or over cast which is not very normal around these parts, even started to drizzle some rain.
I continued to drive around and knew the area pretty well. and that the larger bulls seemed to like to be away from the others and were in canyons that were hard to get to.
and I rememberd one such canyon that was hard driving. I told my bud we need to check it out, about two miles into the canyon I saw on my left a lased distance of 380 yards a huge bull with good body mass and horns that looked to go better then 36" and both horns were symetrical (looked the same I guess) I had my custom remington 700 8mm remington magnum with barnes triple shocks that I hand loaded they were 200gr. bullets.
I hurridly stepped out of the 4x4 and from an off hand position put the cross hairs on his shoulder and low on the animal and flung a round at him. he was almost broad side with his head farthest from me. I could hear the bullet impact on the animal. what a sound. the animal bolted and started running, and runnning fast. I had a quartering shot and tried to put another round in the shoulder/rib area and have the bullet go out the chest taking out more lung and the heart. not to be on a running animal the bullet went into the anus just to the right of it I guess. and came out about an inch below his eyes in the center. wow. he still ran another 75 yards and crashed behind a scrub oak. I waited 15 minutes at the ready. then walked over to the tree/bush he was behind when he heard me he took his last breath as he tried to rise up. and then he layed his head down. he measured 38.5" on both horns with nice bases.
I took the time to thank god for the chance to hunt and being able to take one of his majestic animals and for a clean kill and a safe hunt.
he is in the freezer now and we are enjoying him in a variety of culinary ways.
thanks for readin.Kyote

Last edited by Kyote; 10-24-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Convert some of those 35mm pics and post 'em We want to see!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:05 PM

here is one foto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00021-small.jpg (88.8 KB, 26 views)