Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 AM

Default DEER Hunters!

Seasons are approaching! Make sure you have your Fox Pro charged and ready if your as lucky as us in Illinois where it's legal to use them! Good Luck this season everyone!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Im ready for season but we cannot use electronic calls in south dakota
Old 09-10-2010, 11:21 AM

I for one am looking forward to your posts and photos this year. Good luck! Have a safe and productive season.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 PM
FOXPRO Staff

Hey Dan! Haven't heard from you in awhile, hope everything is well. Good luck this year man I hope to see some pictures of some more bruisers!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:49 PM

Yeah, I appologize on my absence guys. I have been battling this back problem since December of 2008. Soon I will be going through surgery for it. After that, you will see more of me. Last year I spent more time taking friends than I hunted myself but I did harvest 9 deer still. This should be a good year for bucks. Last week I saw 4 and the smallest one was 140 with the largest one being 165. Hopefully one of them or even bigger will find out how deadly a Fox Pro and bow cobination are just like the previous ones. LOL
Old 09-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Anyone ever try the FOXPRO on mule deer?

We almost always get the buck we want to shoot to stop by using the 'maawwww' verbal sound. Works great; never fails. We have not tried calling them though because we generally hunt their travel lanes or bedding locations.

This is the 'year of the buck' so to speak what with great forage and wintering last winter there is a LOT of nice racks running around out there right now. We have about a half dozen identified as first picks for opening day; one we call floppy ear as his right(from behind) ear hangs straight down and moose, a bruiser we have been trying to get for three years now. Better be this year because I get the feeling he will be in decline next year. Had ONE crack at him three years ago and chose not to ruin the meat and let him go.(a going away shot downhill). Ah well, there are other up an comers to look for IF we do not score him this year.

Good hunting to you all this year.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Personally, I've never intentionally called for muledeer, but I've almost been run over a number of times while calling for predators.
One of the funniest instances is where a group of 6-8 deer came blasting in, saw me at the last second and turned towards a buddy that was on stand for his first time ever. Some of the deer passed within arms distance of him. Needless to say he about ruined his underbritches. We had three coyotes come in minutes later. He was so shook he couldn't shoot.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Sorry, I never have been fortunate enough to try the Fox Pro out on Mulies. I do think that if during the rut you find yourself out with the call and you try it, you may never go any where without it again if it works on them as well as it does Whitetails. If you guys go after Does try the fawn bawl not the distress. The distress call has called in a ton of coyotes for me but I actually have only called one Doe in successfully with the distress call. During our Illinois shotgun season I saw a doe running as fast as she could about 600 yards away. I hit the distress call and she turned on a dime and came running straight to me. At about 65 yards I was able to get a shot off at her and I rolled her like a rabbit. As fast as she was running this story tells you a couple of things. 1st off with her running as fast as she was you know she probably had a fawn or fawns with her and they were being shot at by hunters and she was able to get away. 2nd being vocal animals as deer are when she heard the Fox Pro she probably associated the call with her baby and thought she could meet back up with it. The thing she didn't realize is that there was a Fox Pro hunting crazy fool looking to fill another tag.... LOL I know it's hard to keep scenarios in your head and the decisions have to be made right away, sometimes you might screw up and sometimes things will work for you. One thing is for certain, if you see the deer you want and you do nothing to get it's attention, it will never have the choice to come in or keep going. Act on the ones you want, don't let the chance pass you by. Whether you are a seasoned deer hunter or an amateur that advice is some to live by because when you think about it, it only makes sense.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 PM

The fawn bawl or the fawn bleat? Do you call blind or just use it to draw them into range after you see them?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 AM

The only time I will call blind is if I know there are deer in the area or during the rut. I do not reccomend calling blind. The best thing to do is to use the call once you see the deer so you can see their body language. If you wait until the deer have passed you then you are normally to late. Every once in a while you will get lucky because whitetails are very curious animals. The farthest that I know of, that I have visually seen and called in was over 500 yards away across an open field. I have successfully called in bucks and does this way. Early October some of the best sounds to use are very light rattling and the fawn bleat or bawl. I think Fox Pro has discontinued this sound because I can't find it in the sound library. They have a whitetail doe fawn 1 & 2 call which is close to the original fawn bleat. The fawn in distress usually lures in coyotes and not deer. Stay away from it unless you see a bolting doe that you figure may have just lost a baby and she is running for her life. I have pulled them in from 400 yards going away from me to where they circle and come within 60-75 yards for a shot with gun. I think if you look in the archive for the Fox Pro online newsletters in August 2009 I may have covered some of this in that article as well. There is a ton of useful information on the Fox Pro website and numerous folks willing to share tips and info. If I can help you be more successful in the whitetail woods with your Fox Pro I would be more than happy to help out. Good Luck and I hope you bag a whole stringer full of whitetails.. LOL