Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:02 PM

Default 17 b mag

was just curious if anyone else on here predator hunts with the 17 super mag and loves it as much as I do
Old 01-17-2017, 03:07 PM

That is the best rifle in my book for fox hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2017, 03:08 PM

I do not. But I've been thinking about using a .22 mag, is that a decent gun to use for coyotes?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:08 PM

We have took 5 fox and a bobcat in 2 weeks with it. No fur damage at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2017, 05:24 PM

22 mag is a decent round, would def kill a coyote the 17 b mag is my favorite round I use it for all predators, gun is light, quiet, no recoil and is super accurate would not hesitate to pull the trigger on a coyote at 200 yards a fox at 200 would aim a little high and like skinner said little to no pelt damage 3000fps its like a missle cant wait till the semi auto is made or available I think they will use the same plate form as the 17 hmr semi auto
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM

From what I have seen its a great fox rifle and rodent rifle.

However in my opinion it is the hunters responsibility to execute due diligence and ensure they have enough gun for ethical kills. Do the research.....and you will know what enough gun is for your type of hunting. Don't believe everything on the internet......Predator Xtreme Magazine recently had a fantastic breakdown and analysis that was directly on point and accurate with many of the 17 calibers capabilites .....everyone should read it before making Hail Mary pokes with rimfires on large predators......; )
Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 PM

I just bought a Savage B. Mag in December and to say I've been unimpressed is an understatement. The gun is poor quality and not very accurate. I've been through 200+ rounds trying to find an accurate load and even put a Sims barrel de-resonator onn it. The best I can get it to do is 2" groups at 100 yards with the 25 grain load. I've shot 3 foxes with it so far and missed 2. The 3 kills were at 75, 125 and 30 yards. The 75 was DRT, the 125 ran about 20 yards and fell over stone dead with a hole through both sides of his chest. The 30 yarder was facing me straight on and she started spinning and required a follow up shot. I missed one the other night at 210 yards and another at 10 feet and then running away at 20 yards. I followed up but could not find any evidence of hits on either. I don't know if I got a bad batch of bullets that isn't expanding or what, but I remember having better luck with the HMR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 08:22 PM

ive shot the 25 grain Winchesters dnt like them I shoot the Winchester 20 grain and the hornady 20 grain bullets, I just recently bought a Thompson center 22-250 and shoot tighter groups with the 17 than with the 22-250 at 100 yards my hunting partner also has the same gun but with a bull barrel and loves it I can shoot birds at 120 with no prob and have never missed a predator with it id get it checked maybe somethings off have you tried the faster round I have noticed that when the barrel heats up the accuracy is effected but the first 3 shots are tight when sighting in it I let it cool
Old 01-18-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADHUNTER View Post
ive shot the 25 grain Winchesters dnt like them I shoot the Winchester 20 grain and the hornady 20 grain bullets, I just recently bought a Thompson center 22-250 and shoot tighter groups with the 17 than with the 22-250 at 100 yards my hunting partner also has the same gun but with a bull barrel and loves it I can shoot birds at 120 with no prob and have never missed a predator with it id get it checked maybe somethings off have you tried the faster round I have noticed that when the barrel heats up the accuracy is effected but the first 3 shots are tight when sighting in it I let it cool
I tried the AE and Winchester 20's. My groups were worse. I just put a call in to Savage today, going to send it back and try to get them to upgrade me to a bull barrel.
When I first brought it home it had a burr in the chamber so bad that it would almost cut the cases in half. Got a round loaded and couldn't extract it. Filed the burr off and took it shooting. This time the magazine wouldn't chamber the last 3 rounds every time( bad spring? Not enough preload) I went to Cabelas and bought a new mag, problem solved. Next time out, I'm getting frequent failure to fires, lifting the bolt and slamming it back down causes them to fire but then the spent shell won't eject. On top of all that fun, the accuracy isn't up to par with what the round should be capable of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 PM

would def send it back sounds like a factory freak to me, I dnt like the weight of the bull barrel my buddy has but shoots tighter groups when hot guess we cant have it all lol