Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Wild hog calls

I have a buddy who I hunt with at night on his deer lease. He has a pretty good population of hogs on the lease that hammer the feeders at night. Most of the time we sneak into the blind with about 2 hours of daylight left and hunt all night under the full moon. I have had hogs come into the feeders before nightfall once or twice, but its rare in the area. Has anyone had success calling hogs in using the FoxPro sounds available online? Especially around feeders? I'd like to see if I could get some daylight action on this years hunt. Headed south on New Years Day!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw110136 View Post
I have a buddy who I hunt with at night on his deer lease. He has a pretty good population of hogs on the lease that hammer the feeders at night. Most of the time we sneak into the blind with about 2 hours of daylight left and hunt all night under the full moon. I have had hogs come into the feeders before nightfall once or twice, but its rare in the area. Has anyone had success calling hogs in using the FoxPro sounds available online? Especially around feeders? I'd like to see if I could get some daylight action on this years hunt. Headed south on New Years Day!
I have never tried calling them. But I've had success with hog lights over the feeder and using a remote control to cycle the feeder. We have done this a lot with our bows. Sometimes you can get them to come back several times after you shoot by cycling the feeder again.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Old thread; I have found/read very little about calling hogs with a caller. It seems that if hogs were within hearing distance, there would be a recorded call of some kind that would bring them in. Feeding hogs, boars after a sow in heat, piglet distress, etc. should work, but few people have writen about it.

I have hogs on all of my Florida hunting properties. They stay out in the swamps during daylight hours and usually come out to forage and feed after dark. Would be nice to be able to call them out during shooting light hours.

Several years ago I heard a group of hogs down in the woods making a heck of a racket. Worked my in there and found a group of boars chasing a sow round and round thru the woods. I assume she was in heat. The hogs were grunting and squealing and really making alot of noise. Seems that having that sound on a caller would bring every boar within hearing into your set up.

Dave
Old 12-24-2015, 09:13 AM

This is one of the reasons I bought a FOXPRO. We have plenty of hogs in the river bottoms and they get very shy during daylight. Finding the HogZombies on YouTube made me feel very good about calling them close.
Jeremiah 29:11
Old 12-24-2015, 02:11 PM

I've tried Calling in Feral/Wild Hogs a few times with my FP Shockwave but it didn't seem to work?This was in the Summer Time in heavy woods and thick cover so for all I know it might have worked but the Hogs could pick up my scent and leave without Me knowing it?

My Hunting Partner used a Primo's Mouth Hog Call and brought in a Young 50-75 lb Hog but missed it and it took off into the woods/thick cover.We don't have many Feral Hogs here in Missouri and with the heavy Ozarks Forest they have a lot of Area to hide in and mostly only move and come out at Night and We can't use Artifical Light only Moonlit Nights and Snow will give Us an advantage!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 12-24-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 PM

Well we are covered up with the vermin. Hopefully they will respond well. Every dead one is a good one.
Jeremiah 29:11