Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 AM

Great work!

Would you mind if I 'shared' the pics on another forum to illustrate what a formidable round the .223/5.56 can be? There are some doubters that the AR is a viable hunting round.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
Great work!

Would you mind if I 'shared' the pics on another forum to illustrate what a formidable round the .223/5.56 can be? There are some doubters that the AR is a viable hunting round.
No, there are dozens more kills like that....
2-SIG 556 Commandos Leopold VX-R 1-4X & Eotech
T/C Contender Custom 1:7" Twist 20" Barrel
Redfield 3-9X50mm
Handloaded 5.56mm OTM Varmit Killin' Ammo
Immunizing your Coyotes won't work.....
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks Skypup!

You have more pics? Well.....
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM

SkyPup has been slaying hogs for years with the .223/5.56 so there is no doubt it can do the job. Look through all 50+ pages of SkyPup's NV Gear thread and you'll see several years worth of his kills, many with the .223. You just have to be aware that when you use a smaller caliber shot placement becomes more critical, your margin for error decreases and your choice of bullet becomes more important.

I have done a lot of testing on my range and am totally sold on Barnes bullets. Surprisingly they all seem to penetrate about the same amount. 70 grain .223 all the way up to 225 grain .357 they all have about the same penetration, mushroom very reliably, don't blow up if used at close range and don't leave lead in your meat. I have never had a Barnes bullet glance off with a shallow angle skull shot and I've never recovered a Barnes from an animal. They chug right on through whatever I've hit leaving a controlled path of destruction.

---
When I coyote hunt I walk out my back door when I'm in the mood. No planning, no time off work, no money spent so I'm not as concerned about anchoring that animal right instantly. I don't have hog hunting nearby so for me it involves taking time off work, paying a guide or lease rights and buying a plane ticket or driving for hours. So, I don't use something "marginal" or "controversial". I've invested a lot of time and money into each hog hunt and I don't want that hog to take a single step and I want to guarantee that it goes in my freezer. At night, in the swamp and shooting through brush at a large animal there is no doubt that the .223 is small. Can it do it? In capable hands, yes. Is it the best caliber for the job, probably not. If I lived in Florida or Texas where hogs are plentiful I'd be more inclined to use a .223. But since hog hunting is a reasonable investment I choose to use something bigger and more reliable.

Most of my hog hunts I'm in a camp with 8-20 other guys so I get to see the results from a lot of other people and calibers. Usually half the camp is using black rifles and in general the .223 performs much more poorly compared to larger calibers. People with larger calibers bring a hog back to camp more often. So far every time there has been at least one person who has wounded a hog with a .223. The guides privately dislike/hate black rifles and the .223 because it often means they have to get the dogs and slog through the swamp to track down a client's wounded animal.