Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 PM

Exclamation Carlson Dead Coyote choke?

Just looking forsome feedback on the DC choke, I have a Mossberg 935, 22" barrel. I've heard some mixed reviews on this choke, honestly I find the 70 yrd range that carlson claims to be a bit hard to swallow. Right now I have an acu choke util-mag, range is about 30 yrds. If anyone can give me some info on the carlson or a choke that will give me a bit more range without the spead opening up like an umbrella, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM

I'm interested on hearing some feed back too, I am thinking about getting one also.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM

try some #4 buck in different sized chokes and pattern them on some cardboard to see what gives you the tightest pattern. I have read posts on other boards where the improved cylinder with #4 buck is what a lot of people that hunt with shotguns use. it is going to depend on your gun and choke. as far as the DC goes I have never used one. I have to agree that 70 yards sounds like a far fetch too. I suppose it is possible if the magic BB landed a head shot but I would have to see it to believe it myself.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 PM

Even IF <------ notice how IF is capitalized? Even IF you had good patterns at 70 yards, how much penetration/energy do you think you'd have at that range? If you want consistant kills it takes a decent pattern and enough energy behind the shot to penetrate thick fur, hide, bone and vitals. I call predators for a reason. I want them up close. A proper setup and decoy should put predators within easy shotgun range on a majority of stands. Besides, it's much more exciting to have a coyote in your lap than out at 70 yards. I think Carlson's is doing a disservice by making 70 yard claims. Try different choke tubes and loads until you get something that looks good on the patterning board. THEN.....keep shots within the limits of that pattern, 50 yards and under in most cases. Everything I shot last season was with the shotgun. The longest shot was 21 yards! Granted, I did have a few hangup out of range or do a fly-by just out of range, but all in all it was a great year and much better than sniping them at 100+ yards.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM

I have a Carlson DC and think about 50 yds is max. However, I had to do a lot of patterning with different shots and brands of shells. Before the DC tube I used Federal #4 buck out if a standard Remington full choke and got good patterns. After getting the DC federals didn't pattern near as well as Remington #4 buck. I tried as many as I could, federal, remington, winchester, hornady and ended up with the 3" #4 buck as my best load. So try as many loads as you can because they will all have some differences in them.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. Gonna do some pattern testing this weekend. I'm sure I wont be taking any shots past the 30 yrd range, but if I can get another 10 yards for the shy dogs its worth looking into. The terrain up here is pretty thick for the most part but I have scouted a few clearcuts where it would be nice to have a little more range. I'll probably do most of my testing this weekend with the acu-choke and just try out more brands and loads.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Killed one running last year at 40 yds with my DC choke on a 12 ga Benelli. Went about 5 yds before he fell over. Was using Hevi-shot --expensive, but good stuff!! Have patterned it out to 60 yards and it looks good on cardboard, but like the previous comment, not sure what the penetration would actually be at that range. But out to 40 yards you are good to go in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Tried one with several different shot sizes, and I found none seemed to please me. I went with an Undertaker choke w/ #4 buck!!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 PM

29 va glad you found a choke that pleased you. There are alot of companys out there now days that offer alot.
Hellbilly i have the dc choke and it does the job but never tested anything else #4 remington out of a mosberg 835

Last edited by Clank; 06-14-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Tags
carlson, choke tubes, dc choke, mossberg 935