Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2017, 07:40 PM
jacobhwrd jacobhwrd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 55
Default Fox pro hand calls smell!?!?!

I bought the 3 pack of the new hand calls about a year ago and they work and sound great but they had a weird smell when they came out of the pack. I assumed it would go away in the weeks following but they still have a very strong smell to this day. Has anyone else had this issue? How do you get rid of the smell? I tried letting them air out, spraying them with a scent killer and everything else I can think of shirt of boiling them. I assumed this would warp the reeds so I never did that. Any help would be appreciated.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM
XNAVYORDIE's Avatar
XNAVYORDIE XNAVYORDIE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gettysburg PA Area
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobhwrd View Post
I bought the 3 pack of the new hand calls about a year ago and they work and sound great but they had a weird smell when they came out of the pack. I assumed it would go away in the weeks following but they still have a very strong smell to this day. Has anyone else had this issue? How do you get rid of the smell? I tried letting them air out, spraying them with a scent killer and everything else I can think of shirt of boiling them. I assumed this would warp the reeds so I never did that. Any help would be appreciated.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My Son won the FoxPro 3 pack as a door prize at a predator tournament a few months back (2nd Annual Predator Hunters of Maryland Tournament). He opened them in the truck on the way home and yes there was an "aroma". He practiced with them daily.....by the next weekend he was out with us calling with them (even called in a fox for me!). They had no "aroma" at that time.

I have a 3 pack from Sceery as well and they had the same "aroma".....it goes away quickly as they are used...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 PM
jacobhwrd jacobhwrd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 55
Default

Yeah I haven't been willing to take them into the field with the smell that was there. I am wanting to do more hand calling starting this summer so maybe I will go ahead and start using them. I was practicing with them yesterday for about and hour and soaked them in hot water for about 30 min and it seemed to have gotten a little bit better. Thanks for giving the hope it will go away though. They fit in the hand perfect and sound good.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:06 PM
jacobhwrd jacobhwrd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 55
Default

BTW I was navy also. Corpsman.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:22 PM
XNAVYORDIE's Avatar
XNAVYORDIE XNAVYORDIE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gettysburg PA Area
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobhwrd View Post
Yeah I haven't been willing to take them into the field with the smell that was there. I am wanting to do more hand calling starting this summer so maybe I will go ahead and start using them. I was practicing with them yesterday for about and hour and soaked them in hot water for about 30 min and it seemed to have gotten a little bit better. Thanks for giving the hope it will go away though. They fit in the hand perfect and sound good.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed that they fit the hand well and sound good.....was jealous of a 12yo kid win his name was called....but didn't have the heart to execute a "Dad Confiscation".....; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobhwrd View Post
BTW I was navy also. Corpsman.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hoo Yah!...Welcome aboard...FMF? MARSOC?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 PM
jacobhwrd jacobhwrd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 55
Default

I worked ICU in Japan. A lot of people I went to school with ended up FMF though.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 PM
ratt502 ratt502 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: southeast, pa
Posts: 279
Default

mine still smell , but I call in stuff with them . play the wind
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Andrew Lewand's Avatar
Andrew Lewand Andrew Lewand is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fairport, NY
Posts: 1,012
Default

The smell is creamsickle... it went away on mine, but I wish it would have stayed!!!! Made me think of a summer's day!
__________________
Read the new book The Predator Hunter's Playbook at www.barkatthemooncoyoteclub.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2017, 09:48 PM
jacobhwrd jacobhwrd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lewand View Post
The smell is creamsickle... it went away on mine, but I wish it would have stayed!!!! Made me think of a summer's day!


Yeah that is exactly the smell. I have been practicing on mine a ton this week and soaked them in hot water for about an hour and it has gone away a lot but still remains some.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin by vBSkins.com
Customized for FOXPRO Inc.