Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Default Fox pro hand calls smell!?!?!

I bought the 3 pack of the new hand calls about a year ago and they work and sound great but they had a weird smell when they came out of the pack. I assumed it would go away in the weeks following but they still have a very strong smell to this day. Has anyone else had this issue? How do you get rid of the smell? I tried letting them air out, spraying them with a scent killer and everything else I can think of shirt of boiling them. I assumed this would warp the reeds so I never did that. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobhwrd View Post
I bought the 3 pack of the new hand calls about a year ago and they work and sound great but they had a weird smell when they came out of the pack. I assumed it would go away in the weeks following but they still have a very strong smell to this day. Has anyone else had this issue? How do you get rid of the smell? I tried letting them air out, spraying them with a scent killer and everything else I can think of shirt of boiling them. I assumed this would warp the reeds so I never did that. Any help would be appreciated.

My Son won the FoxPro 3 pack as a door prize at a predator tournament a few months back (2nd Annual Predator Hunters of Maryland Tournament). He opened them in the truck on the way home and yes there was an "aroma". He practiced with them daily.....by the next weekend he was out with us calling with them (even called in a fox for me!). They had no "aroma" at that time.

I have a 3 pack from Sceery as well and they had the same "aroma".....it goes away quickly as they are used...
Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 PM

Yeah I haven't been willing to take them into the field with the smell that was there. I am wanting to do more hand calling starting this summer so maybe I will go ahead and start using them. I was practicing with them yesterday for about and hour and soaked them in hot water for about 30 min and it seemed to have gotten a little bit better. Thanks for giving the hope it will go away though. They fit in the hand perfect and sound good.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:06 PM

BTW I was navy also. Corpsman.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah I haven't been willing to take them into the field with the smell that was there. I am wanting to do more hand calling starting this summer so maybe I will go ahead and start using them. I was practicing with them yesterday for about and hour and soaked them in hot water for about 30 min and it seemed to have gotten a little bit better. Thanks for giving the hope it will go away though. They fit in the hand perfect and sound good.

Agreed that they fit the hand well and sound good.....was jealous of a 12yo kid win his name was called....but didn't have the heart to execute a "Dad Confiscation".....; )

Quote:
BTW I was navy also. Corpsman.

Hoo Yah!...Welcome aboard...FMF? MARSOC?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 PM

I worked ICU in Japan. A lot of people I went to school with ended up FMF though.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 PM

mine still smell , but I call in stuff with them . play the wind
Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 PM

The smell is creamsickle... it went away on mine, but I wish it would have stayed!!!! Made me think of a summer's day!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lewand View Post
The smell is creamsickle... it went away on mine, but I wish it would have stayed!!!! Made me think of a summer's day!

Yeah that is exactly the smell. I have been practicing on mine a ton this week and soaked them in hot water for about an hour and it has gone away a lot but still remains some.