Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:04 PM

Default 4th Annual Predator Hunters of Maryland Contest

Well another one is in the books....and a good one it was. With the nasty weather yesterday/last night we were not sure what would happen today at check-in....honestly, at one point I didn't know if I was going to get out of my driveway...I was out there at 0445 shoveling and cleaning the Jeep off...I had all the pile markers, raffle gear, prize table camo, vehicle check in form/zip ties, walkie talkies....and most importantly the griddles, pancake batter, sausage plates, utencils, etc...l was determined to get that Jeep up the driveway up the road and off this PA mountain to Damacus MD to set up....some folks drive hours for this event....can't let 'em down...; )

Made it early, and we had everything ready in time for the first vehicle to arrive...and boy did they arrive! we had 90% of the teams show all with time to spare. It was cold, windy and a snowy muddy mess....but still a great time was had by the contestants and familys….hot breakfast and coffee and plenty of prizes given out from FoxPro, Wicked Lights, Night Eyes, Vortex, Athlon, All Predator Calls, and many local game call makers and establishments.

I was amazed at the success some teams had considering the weather....winning team had 44 reds.....several teams had over 20 reds....oddly enough not many Grays this year....only 3 Yotes.....but its red country......Grays are rare and yotes are hard to come by.

I wasn't the photographer this year as I had weigh in duty....boy is my arm tired from hanging all those critters on that scale hook.....I should have built a lower scale stand...lol.....but here's a pic I took after all the critters were weighed in and everyone had headed inside for the prize presentations.....and more hot pancakes! …can't wait for next year!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-20-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Forgot Vortex....
Old 01-20-2019, 05:24 PM

Good going.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Good going.
Thanks Weasel.....several folks lent a hand today......predator hunters are a special breed.....especially the ones who creep through the night and hunt the red eyes.....; )
Old 01-20-2019, 09:11 PM

Congratulations to you Navy and your crew members. A job well done with the contest. You guys do it right.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
Congratulations to you Navy and your crew members. A job well done with the contest. You guys do it right.

Hoo Yah.....the BZ goes to Archer.....he started this.....I'm heavy support to his six....; )
Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 PM

Roger that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Congrats Navy & Archer for putting on a Great Contest----Wow Lots of critters taken. Hard to imagen the # taken' LOTS of fur in that area----Our Shooting club had its Predator hunt this pasted week-end and for the brutal cold and snow there was 21 critters taken--1 gray fox-1 Red Fox -1Bobcat and 18 coyotesI was surprised that many were killed but bet most were shot on dead plies. Again WTG

svb
Old 01-21-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPBUCK10PT View Post
Congrats Navy & Archer for putting on a Great Contest----Wow Lots of critters taken. Hard to imagen the # taken' LOTS of fur in that area----Our Shooting club had its Predator hunt this pasted week-end and for the brutal cold and snow there was 21 critters taken--1 gray fox-1 Red Fox -1Bobcat and 18 coyotesI was surprised that many were killed but bet most were shot on dead plies. Again WTG

svb
Thanks SB
Most of the critters are taken from the Eastern Shore teams. That area is loaded with Reds, and holds more Grays. It was unusual for them to not bring more Grays....but then not too many hunted Saturday night due to the nasty weather all over Maryland. I think we have some folks that could bring in more yotes if they wanted, but focus on the Reds for the contest. It goes to show you though that the yote population in Maryland isn't going to support a contest.

Unfortunately Bobcats are not allowed to be hunted in Maryland...it would add some variety and another category.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 PM

Wonder why no bobcat season. All the states around you seems like supports a good huntable population. Do you not have much timbering operations up there? That really provides for great cat habitat. Regrowth pines are the cat's meow, so to speak.

I attended the checking yesterday at Dances Sporting Goods contest down in Colonial Heights and they had as many Bobcats checked in as they had coyotes, maybe more.

Just curious!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
Wonder why no bobcat season. All the states around you seems like supports a good huntable population. Do you not have much timbering operations up there? That really provides for great cat habitat. Regrowth pines are the cat's meow, so to speak.

I attended the checking yesterday at Dances Sporting Goods contest down in Colonial Heights and they had as many Bobcats checked in as they had coyotes, maybe more.

Just curious!

It's Maryland .....who knows....nutty State. Luckily I live in PA....although Bobcats are not legal to hunt in my WMU.

Were there many foxes checked in Sonny?