Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > FOXPRO Sounds > Sound Requests

Sound Requests Is there a certain sound you would like to see FOXPRO carry in the future? Share your ideas and requests for new sounds in this forum.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Default Duck distress

How about some mallard duck distress. Anybody that raises ducks knows foxes/coyotes pick them off regularly (ours got ate this winter). Am sure they pick off wild ducks occasionally as well
Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

FoxPro offers some real good duck distress sounds, including mallards.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:00 PM

I'd like to see some adult mallard duck distress sounds added as well. Some of my properties I hunt have decent wild duck populations at times and others have farm ducks nearby. It would be helpful to have something else in my arsenal to throw at them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Brian D, just exactly, which duck sounds do you have? Just a quick check shows me 14 different ducks sounds, many of them mallards. There are even some included in the free sounds. I know they work too, since a farmer near here was losing ducks and geese to coyotes, and I killed several coyotes on their land using these sounds.

If you have a FoxPro ecaller than offers Foxfusion, you can use two of these sounds together making an entirely different sound, which is very effective and useful.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 PM

I have the wood duckling distress sound that I paid for. I listened to mallard duckling on sound preview which seems virtually identical to the wood ducks, which all sound very similar to baby turkey or game bird chick distress. Those sounds are fine and I'm sure that they will call in fur but I have little confidence in playing a chick or duckling sound in the dead of winter. Maybe I'm giving the foxes and yotes to much credit. The free sounds you are referring to seem to simply be sounds blown on a duck call to mimic healthy ducks for the purpose of calling in the ducks themselves. Maybe I missed something when I checked the sound lists but I have not been able to find a plain old adult mallard or farm duck distress which is a completely different sound than a duckling. Thanks for all your help Al!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:43 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Mallard Chatter, Mallard comeback, Mallard Drake, Mallard Feed Call, Mallard Greeting, Wood Duck Squeal, Wood Duck Whine, Feeding Mallards, Pintail whistle, Green wing teal, Speckle Belly comeback, Wood duckling, and Mallard Duckling are available. I can't tell you for sure which ones are live, but any of the newer sounds would be live.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumal View Post
Mallard Chatter, Mallard comeback, Mallard Drake, Mallard Feed Call, Mallard Greeting, Wood Duck Squeal, Wood Duck Whine, Feeding Mallards, Pintail whistle, Green wing teal, Speckle Belly comeback, Wood duckling, and Mallard Duckling are available. I can't tell you for sure which ones are live, but any of the newer sounds would be live.
Yup, these are the free sounds I was referring to. My main passion is waterfowl hunting and listening to these sounds I can tell most of those, with the exception of feeding mallards, were produced by a human on a duck call. They are all representative sounds of happy, healthy ducks. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a fox or coyote while duck hunting along a stream and I only remember one that seemed interested in my duck calls. I'm not saying these sounds won't occasionally call in a fox or yote but I think you could up your odds with the sounds of a hurt, struggling duck.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:21 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I don't know if a coyote or fox listens to the sounds of ducks, and determines if it is a duck in distress. The duck will be in distress if the predator comes in after him. As I said, I have killed a lot of coyotes using these sounds. If I was hunting coyotes now, I'd use Foxfusion and give them something they definitely haven't heard.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:03 PM

ive called in several red fox with mallard duckling distress. including one 2 weeks ago that I either missed or wounded . I was put on to that sound a few years back on this site from some of the Maryland hunters having luck with it when nothing else was working.