Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Fox Hunting

Fox Hunting Near and dear to the FOXPRO Family. The place for all discussions specific to fox hunting, including stories, photos, techniques, and questions.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Default My first triple

Hey guys, got my first triple today hunting Gray Fox. Thanks to Sonny Pruitt for recommending cycling through the gray fox calls. Worked like a charm! We've been hunting coyotes hard with only small success out here in the desert and decided it was time to take a break from the yotes and go after the fox. I did play a little cagie cottontail to "warm them up" and did have one come to the decoy but missed the shot with the AR 15 as he bolted when he heard my moving sticks click. Moved to the next stand and had two come in but again heard the sticks move and took off. However, switched to platinum grey and not only did he come back but brought his mate. However, they never quit moving and couldn't get a shot through the thick undergrowth common in the desert. For the next stand ditched the AR and went to work with the shotgun. Opened for a few minutes with cagie and then started cycling the gray fox calls. 30 seconds later a dead gray fox was tumbling off a boulder 20 yards above me. Switched from platinum to screaming gray. Another one came in less than 2 minutes later. Shot her as she peeked over the cactus trying to get an eye on the decoy. Switched to Steeltown and 3.5 minutes later another came in. Jumped on a boulder looking for the maker of the racket and I tried to shoot him through the brush but he got away. Sonny had told me to sit there as sometimes they will come back in. Don't know if it was the same one or a different fox, but saw a flash of movement and suddenly a furry face was peaking out at me from around a saguarro cactus. And there was my triple. It was a bear dragging them the mile back to the truck from the mountain but I was smiling all the way. Tried to post a few pictures but it kept saying they failed to upload. Anyway, hadn't posted in awhile and had to jump back on and see what's new! Hope you all are having a great weekend!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:53 PM

Congratulations on the triple! Keep trying to load the photos. We'd love to see them.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:54 PM

OH!!!!! And check in more often, too.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Talking

OUTSTANDING!

Those little Grays are my favorite, funniest predator to call. Been doing it since High School back in the 1960's. I have lost track of the doubles and triples that have fallen to that series of various Gray Fox Vocals that are just switched back and forth through five or six different vocals/sounds. Glad it worked for you and I guarantee it will work again for you in the future. They can not resist it presented in that manner. Always be slow to give up and stand up on a stand just because you killed one or two, or shot and missed one. Stay after it. I am happy for you as if I had been there with you.

If I can help with photos, let me know or PM me your cell number and I'll call you and walk you through it on Imgur website. It is easy once you do it, it is a piece of cake.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:39 PM

This was my almost Quad. The fourth one would not show itself but just sat and barked at me from the pine thicket cutover. Guess he knew something was up. It was an afternoon hunt, but it was dark by the time I hiked out of the holler back to the Bad Boy Buggy.

Last edited by Sonny Pruitt; 03-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:40 PM

Thanks to Sonny for helping me get this picture to you guys. Here is my triple. Also my wife made me the drag in the picture so thanks to her as well!
Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Great picture, I like that drag. Now you can post all your pictures for us to see.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:08 AM

Congrats on your Triple WTG---Nice Drag Too-

svb
Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 AM

Thanks! I thought my wife did a good job making it, especially for her first attempt.