Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Need ideas....

I am totally frustrated....it happened to me after I never understood how others let it happen to them.

This morning my son and I made a couple targets and were packing up to head out for the range. He was excited to shoot his 22 and I was excited to dial in my new 17 Hornet. Before casing rifles I always check the action and run a patch through the barrel to ensure the bore is clean and free of any obstruction.

This morning I put a patch on my Otis system and ran the flex cable through the chamber and down the barrel of my Hornet. Out the muzzle it came, as always I started to pull...but this time it did not budge, and I did not try to force it. It was stuck in the chamber not even to the barrel. Of course, its a flexible cable so you can't back it out in reverse like a rod. I have tried to get at it with everything from a cleaning rod with a clipped treble hook duct taped to it and deck screw hoping I could twist it out. The Otis site says to "just twist the flex cable in a counter clockwise motion"....yeah right that did nothing but knot up the flex cable and make the rifle action spin like Dorothy Hammel on crack...

Anybody here have a similar situation with otis stuck in the chamber? Not the barrel but chamber....

Back to beating my head against the wall....
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM

If I have this situation pictured right in my head, I have an idea. Remove the bolt and use a long, narrow forceps to reach in through the action and pluck the patch out that way*. I wouldn't use a deck screw or anything else that is too hard or sharp. You have to be very careful to not mar the rifling, chamber or muzzle.

* I know this because I have several forceps on my gun bench.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:59 PM

im like weasel take the bolt out . but a long small drill bit in hand an twist it . i bet that will grab it .
Old 05-04-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks guys. Yep I had the bolt out. Weasel you are probably picturing it correctly. If you look through from the breech end you can see the patch. Its about a half inch in the chamber. I was able to put the deck screw through the (ejection port) and a long screw driver through the action to turn it without touching the action/throat but it did not grab the patch. Tried a blackpowder patch puller but no dice. A drill bit, atleast what I have is not long enough. There is no way of attacking via the muzzle because the flex cable is still through the barrel....not much room left in a 17Cal bore with the cable through it.

I have decided to give it a rest. Go hit the lake and fish a bit this evening. Then tomorrow look for some 90 degree angled needlenose pliers that will be small enough to angle in through the (ejection port) and get up in enough to grab a peice of patch.....what a silly situation to be in after waiting so long for this rifle!

Thinking back I know what the issue was....I didn't pinch the patch in the right spot and when I pulled through the slot it was probably more 22 cal size and not 17.....it sure does not take much to wedge it in there, but a ton to get it out.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Weasel your "forceps" idea gave me an idea. I had tweezers in a tackle box. They were small enough to fit into the chamber and contact the patch. I then used needle nose to squeeze and pull up slowly....I managed to get a few peices that tore off but that was it....progress so to speak.....this is incredibly frustrating.

Hoping to find some small pointy angled needle nose to try otherwise.....I may just try burning the patch out....lol.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:34 PM

maybe a shot of air . water from a hose .
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ganumber4 View Post
maybe a shot of air . water from a hose .
I thought about the air.....but with the cable taking up the majority of the bore not sure how productive that would be. Especially a tiny 17 cal.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Sounds like an ugly predicament, I can visualize the rifle spinning around & around. Maybe this will help, if the patch is dry, stand the rifle vertical and try to drip some thin oil (Kroil comes to mind)down the bore to saturate the patch. This may take some time being a 17 cal.Let it sit a day or two then try to back it out. Next call Otis Monday AM ask if they have a tech support line, I'm sure your not the first. If it was my gun I would try to clamp a hydraulic hose over the barrel longer then the otis cable and then hose clamp a pneumatic grease gun (auto repair shop)to the other end and pump away. This may require more than one hose clamp as the pressure may be high, could also be very messy. Do not use water pressure as it's to low, and the water is to thin to be effective. Also could introduce rust if removal is not successful. Last resort take it to your local Gunsmith.
Good Luck Keep us posted.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Finally free!

The Hornet is finally clear, reassembled and ready to go.....SHEESH! I didn't have much time to mess with it over the past week.....too many bad guys to deal with at work and what little time I had this past weekend was dedicated to the first round NCAA Div 1 Lacrosse Tournament....managed to only scratch two games on my bracket (Thanks alot Penn State and Maryland).....anyway..

I saturated the patch until it was "mushy" and picked away at it. I tore enough off and it was soft enough I thought I'd try to pull it through....so into the vise went the flex rod and with one hand on the vise and the action in the other I gave a little tug and it moved....a few more hard smooth tugs and out it came!.....after a short happy dance I checked the bore/chamber...no damage..lots of patch residue....I screwed on a 17Cal Otis Mongoose and after a brief prayer pulled it through with ease.

So now lets see if this thing can shoot!....should be able to get out Thursday afternoon....STAND-BY!