Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 PM

Default Howlin

Now that we're into February and mating season is coming into full swing, I'm wondering if you more tenured coyote hunters switch solely to howls during this portion of the year? Or do you still still do some distress stands, or even mixed stands with both howls and distress?

Also, I went to a furtakers seminar at Bass Pro once where Al Morris was giving out some pointers. He said he starts out with a 1) Locator 2) Invitation. 3) Challenge 4) Pup Distress.

Is this accurate for mating season (it was in August when he gave the seminar)? And how about the Invitation call - which specific FoxPro sound have y'all had the most success with for that?

Thanks! Haven't been out during mating season yet and am trying to figure some things out.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 AM

Ive been starting stands with female long howls 1 followed by female yodel howls then female whimpers. They've been responding pretty well to that lately. Also getting responses from coyote locator
FoxPro wildfire 2
FoxPro Blackjack
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the response Ridgerunner! I will give that a try when I make it back out. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
FOXPRO Fury w/ FoxJack Decoy
Old 02-05-2014, 12:23 PM

We switch it up quite a bit this time of year. We usually use vocals and distress sounds throughout each stand. We try not to worry about an actual sequence as to how we play them either. I know it is hard to understand, but try not to over think your sound selection to much. If you start worrying about sounds more than your actual location and setup, you are probably missing the boat. Be prepared for multiple coyotes this time of year, if you shoot stay put for a while as I have seen males come in "dogging" a female ten minutes after we shot her. Stick with it and good luck.

Tags
challenge, howling, invitation, mating, partner