Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:51 PM

Default What sounds,sets working on eastern fox

Anyone what to share any success ful sounds or set of sounds for eastern fox . I'm in Maryland. I've been out of it for a while.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Baybee Cottontail, Titmouse Tantrum, Platinum Gray fox ! Works really well!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:09 PM

If you after after Grays, just simply stay with Fox vocalizations. Platinum, Steeltown, Screaming Gray, Grieving Gray. Keep changing from one to another. If they come and you miss or they leave without a shot, go right back to Platinum Gray and wait it out.

If Reds, stay off the volume, keep it low. High frequency, rapid cadence. Only vocals that I know of that works in to use Platinum Gray even on Reds. Keep in mind, in most cases Red Fox are volume shy, unless you are surrounded by them like you guys are up Maryland.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:04 PM

As Sonny said MD is heavy with Reds. Especially the Eastern Shore. Grays are a rare treat, but they are there....especially the southern part of the Eastern Shore. Those folks enjoy some great fox hunting for sure.

Central MD holds a good amount of Reds. They are not as difficult as most think, depending on time of season. If set up on a larger open field don't be afraid to blast distress calls. I have heard plenty of live rabbits die a slow death to a raptor....and it's loud. That's what I try to emulate. Just habit I guess but I start every stand with BayBee Cottontail....loud, and usually have eyes before switching. Second choice is Lil Rabbit....loud. When eyes pop up I throttle back a bit. Reds never come in the same for me. Some charge right in, others come on a slow angle, some zig zag as if they lost their minds. If they hang up, I mute the call and that usually gets their curiosity going. Sometimes I lower the sound before un-muting, but usually stick to either BayBee Cottontail and Lil Rabbit. They are the most successful sounds I've used. I do change the pitch on them, and sometimes fuse them together just to change it up.

Late season, especially during tournament (Jan), Red Fox Distress and Juvenile Red Fox Distress have brought in doubles.

If you haven't already you may want to check into the Predator Hunters of Maryland group. Already had Leg#1 of Big Fox Tournament, but the Annual Statewide PHM Tournament is coming up in Jan. Good place to meet and greet a ton of fellow pred hunters.....everyone has different techniques from basic to high tech.