Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about varmint hunting here.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:21 AM

Thank you all for the kind words. I wrote this up after being asked a TON of questions last year after posting a few pictures on some other forums. When I joined here I thought I might as well put it on here also.

I am in NO WAY trying to come across like I know it all when it comes to calling coons. This is just how I go about it and I have bad days as well as good days just like anyone else. Heck today was one of those bad days. Called hard and only saw 3 and shot 1. There is always learning to be done when calling/hunting any animal.

Let me also say that if you don't have success right away stick with it. There are some days it seems to work like magic and coons come out of every tree. Then there are the days it seems like you can't get a coon to come out for nothing. I hate those days!! LOL

Last edited by Hunter53; 12-11-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM

do you ever use a shotgun?if so what shells?
do u keep fur?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeano View Post
do you ever use a shotgun?if so what shells?
do u keep fur?
I have never used a shotgun. I do not want to put that many holes in them as my fur buyer wouldn't like it. I keep and sell all my fur.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:02 AM

If you call 1 and dont get a shot at it,how long do you wait before trying again?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeano View Post
If you call 1 and dont get a shot at it,how long do you wait before trying again?
If you don't shoot and it just goes back in the tree; I wouldn't be afraid to try and call again within a couple hours.

True story here; I actually shot one that came out of a big brush pile only wounding it. I kept the caller going and he came back out trying to get at the decoy again. I made a better shot the second time. Turns out my first shot skimmed across his nose. I am not sure if he thought a coon scratched him and that is why he came back out looking for a fight or not.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Thanks for all the great information. Your technique works amazing called in ten coons the other day in one set but gun jammed and was only able to get two but was still a blast. I had no idea how to call them until i read your post so thanks again for the info has really worked for me and can't believe how fun this is!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM

so if this approach is more productive on a cold day, is it safe to say it should also be productive on windy days? Sounds like I might have something to do in the wind now??
Old 12-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonhusker View Post
Thanks for all the great information. Your technique works amazing called in ten coons the other day in one set but gun jammed and was only able to get two but was still a blast. I had no idea how to call them until i read your post so thanks again for the info has really worked for me and can't believe how fun this is!
Glad you had fun and some good luck!! With the name 'coonhusker' I am guessing you are from Nebraska also? If so where are you located at?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentalrider View Post
so if this approach is more productive on a cold day, is it safe to say it should also be productive on windy days? Sounds like I might have something to do in the wind now??
I have had some luck on windy days but it is usually not as good as calmer or light wind days.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 AM

any luck finding a way to get then stopped for a shot?