Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 AM

Default Awesome moose hunt in 2009

Had an excellent moose hunting season this year, there was far less rain, managed to get our bulls without taking any time off work, hunted evenings and weekends, my wife got her bull on Labor Day Sep. 7th, I got my bull on Sept. 19th...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dory's bull Sept 7 2009 web.jpg (75.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2009 bull 4x6 for web.jpg (47.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 AM
FOXPRO Administration

223wsswm,

Congratulations to both you and your wife for a successful year! I love it that your wife is as involved in the sport as she is. I can say that, while I have tried (and tried pretty hard), I will not get my wife to go hunting. I respect her decision not to go, but still wish she would change her mind.

Can you tell me a little about your moose hunts? Where did you shoot them at, what rifles were you using (or maybe you used a bow?), and more specifically, did you call them in? If so, with what sounds (bull or cow, etc).

Thanks for posting the photos.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:11 PM

WOW! That's a couple of nice bulls. WTG!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 AM

Some of you may already know that the decision was made by our so-called "Alaska game board" to prohibit the use of any electronic game calls for moose hunting in Alaska and 2008 was the first year the law went in effect, we can still use electronic game callers for bear, coyote, wolf etc... I just wonder how long till we have until everything is illegal ??? I see no reason to have outlawed these callers, the percentage of moose hunters using them was next to none as other methods produce good results, I use a canoe paddle to rake and thrash brush and a magnet to call in bull moose for many years with great success. Some of these over-educated morons on the game board seem to think electronic game callers create 100% success rate, truth be told as all experienced callers know, location, setup, scent, wind etc... etc... there are so many variables that can increase of defeat your chances at bagging a trophy.. It seems with every passing season things are getting more and more restrictive.

Sorry folks, had to vent a little...

Mike... my wife uses a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM, muzzle brake installed and trigger adjusted to 2 lbs., I worked up a load with 168 gr. TSX bullets that hover @ .5 moa @ 3050 fps, she swears its a lot better than the 300 Win Mag with the BOSS muzzle break she was using prior to her Tikka T3, she took her bull @ 160 yards with 1 shot, while she was chambering another round the bull went down..

I hunt with a Rem700 LSS 300 UltraMag and 200 gr. Swift A-Frame handloads that also produce .5 moa and similar velocity, trigger set @ 2 lbs with no muzzle break. My shot was at a lasered 204 yards, same results.. the bull did not wait for a second shot and went down on the spot..

Both bulls were taken from the same spot 12 days apart, in the photo below.. she took her moose to the right, mine came out on the left, I also took a very nice bull last year from the same spot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calling Station.jpg (93.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Very nice looking bulls for sure.... we dont see to many down here in the desert Even with all the game law BS your lucky to live in Alaska! I'm surprised Sarah P. put up with all that stuff
Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Looks like it was a fun hunt. Congratulations on the bulls.
Steve.