Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Default First Focal Plane scopes for night calling???

Hi all,
I am interested in using my AR for night hunting Fox and Coyotes in Pennsylvania. I am shopping for a small scope in the 1-6X or 1-8X range and am wondering how a FFP (first focal plane) scope would handle the job of calling at night while using red lights.

Does anyone have solid advise as to whether a FFP scope is good for this type of night calling??
Old 08-21-2019, 07:05 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I don't have a lot of experience with either FFP scopes, or lamping. And haven't used a FFP while lamping.

So... my opinion, ain't worth much .

I don't see a downside to the FFP for lamping. Or any advantage either. So I'd think it's just not a factor or at least not much of one.

The appeal of a FFP to me is the constant subtension across the magnification range. Which, is only really useful, in my opinion, for ranging in the field. But in my limited experience with night hunting using lights, ever shot is point blank range, never any reason to be concerned with ranging anything.

The big bold crosshair on a FFP at higher mag might be nice at night though. Or, even the day, on a coyote rifle. I much prefer at least medium thick reticles on fast action setups.

Not really a FFP issue, but when I was looking at 1-6 and 1-8 scopes for my AR a couple years ago, the optics really sucked on most of them, even the more expensive ones. I ended up going with a 2-10 instead.

- DAA
Old 08-21-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with either FFP scopes, or lamping. And haven't used a FFP while lamping.

So... my opinion, ain't worth much .

I don't see a downside to the FFP for lamping. Or any advantage either. So I'd think it's just not a factor or at least not much of one.

The appeal of a FFP to me is the constant subtension across the magnification range. Which, is only really useful, in my opinion, for ranging in the field. But in my limited experience with night hunting using lights, ever shot is point blank range, never any reason to be concerned with ranging anything.

The big bold crosshair on a FFP at higher mag might be nice at night though. Or, even the day, on a coyote rifle. I much prefer at least medium thick reticles on fast action setups.

Not really a FFP issue, but when I was looking at 1-6 and 1-8 scopes for my AR a couple years ago, the optics really sucked on most of them, even the more expensive ones. I ended up going with a 2-10 instead.

- DAA
Thanks Dave I appreciate it. I ended up buying a new Burris XTR II FFP in 1-8 power. Yea...I couldn't wait. But your reply is meaningful to me so thank you. I was thinking about it the same way you were in that I couldn't see how a FFP scope could be a hindrance for night calling. I usually keep my other scopes on 5 or 6 power so I agree that with this new FFP scope I'll have larger cross-hairs I think that might be a good thing.
I'll have to let you know how it works out. Thank you