Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting That's right, FOXPRO is now pleased to offer products to the turkey hunters out there. We've always been diehard turkey hunters as well, so it's time to put the FOXPRO touch into your turkey calling.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 AM

Default New to Turkey Hunting- Decoys?

Well Im brand new to Turkey Hunting, going to give it a try this year in May here in NY. Just looking for some opinions here.

Whats the best basic setup I can use as far as Decoys go? Here in NY for Spring Turkey hunt we can shoot 2 bearded Turkeys during the Springtime.

Decoys range anywheres from about 15-20 bucks a Decoy up hundreds of dollars for just one decoy. The cheaper rubber ones seem to be what im looking for as they would be much easier to fit right inside my backpack and haul out to the field with ease, but is there a reason why theyre so cheap?

Also, how many Decoys should I use? 2, 3, 4? Hen? Jake? Tom?

Also looking for a basic call for a newbie Turkey Hunter. I went to Dicks the other day, theres an entire shelf of nothing but Turkey calls. Seems extremely overwhelming to me.

Thanks for any advice
Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 AM

I like the idea of having at least 1 decoy. I would start with a hen and go from there. It gives them something to look at to confirm what they are hearing. I used a cheap one last year and it worked fine, but I think I'm going to get a nicer one this year.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM

My dad and I always have 2 hens and a jake to upset the incoming Tom. Start practicing now with a slate and learn how to purr and cluck. These are harder to do than a standard yelp. If you want easier go with a nice box call and then give diaphragm's a try. My decoys are bought on a college student budget and all together cost me $50 so they are cheap but effective.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:56 AM

What part of NY are you in? Decoys might hurt you. The birds are hunted hard here and a lot smarter than most other states seem to be. If you know were a solo tom is hanging out and can set up within 100 yards of him in good sight. You can use the decoy set up listed by Crschum. It gets the tom fired up and he will come right to you if he can see your set up.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM

I always use a jake and 1 hen decoy for the first 1/2 of the season. After that I just use 1 hen. The reason I don't use the jake later in the season is that I figure that dominance has been established by then and a jake decoy might spook the gobbler, particularly if he is a two year old and has been whipped by a dominate gobbler a few times. I use FeatherFlex decoys, cheap and light. You always run the risk that a jake decoy will spook the gobblerr, but I have had more success than not using a jake early in the season. The gobbler will run right past the hen decoy to challenge the jake.
As far as calls go, you can't beat a slate pot call to start with. You can make any turkey sound that you will need with that call. Just keep the slate and the striker conditioned.
Once the gobbler answers you, he knows where you are at. All you really need is a few soft yelps every now and then, maybe a cluck or two but don't over do it. Too many new guys call way too much and way too loud. Less is better, just enough to keep him coming.
While you're at it pick up a mouth call and start practicing. I switch to a mouth call when the gobbler gets in close.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 PM

Lots of guys up here don't even bother with decoys anymore...don't get me wrong there are lots that due still use them but a lot of us that no longer bother... Birds come in to the call and not having a decoy out makes them want to come and look for the girl
Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! All very good information to keep in mind. I did a bit of research online and the 2 hen 1 Jake Decoy seemed, for the most part, the most popular setup. I understand what foxBlaster is saying, animals can act and behave different from one location to the next due to being hunted more or whatever the case may be. I live in the Upstate area (Elmira/Horseheads). In the area that I will be hunting this year, Turkeys haven't been hunted much there.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 PM

I hunt near darien lake. The birds are pressured more over hear. Where your at decoys will work fine. Theres a lot less hunters per square mile in your area and if its lightly hunted as you said. You should have a good season. Get a nice push/pull caller to make your first season easy. Diagrams are the way to go if you can learn to use them.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Should I be taking down the decoys and blind (If I decide to get one) after each day or is it ok to leave the setup there?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM

take them to make the environment as realistic as possible.