Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Default Coyote Problems

Hey, im new to calling coyotes. I have tried a couple of times but I havent had much luck. We are having problems with coyotes starting to overpopulate. I live in southeast region of south dakota about 80 miles west of Soiux Falls. We have cattle and they are calving. We are having problems with the coyotes going after calves and running cattle through fences. They havent got any calves yet and i dont want that in the future. The coyotes are so overpopulated they ate a cow in one night that had died just that afternoon of the same day. I need help. what calls would you be using in South Dakota in end of April beginning of May.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM

start with some non agressive single coyote howls, listen and wait 3 or 4 minutes. If nothing, repaeat, but then follow right away with some type of coyote pair or group howls and yips. Let their response dictate what you do. If they respond and it sounds like they are getting closer sit quiet for a few minutes, then play some type of distress sound. If you don't see anything show up after 6 - 10 minutes of distress sound, switch to coyote pup distress for at least 5 minutes. If nothing has shown up yet, sit silent for 10 minutes, then pack up and move on. Best of luck. Very wiley critters, make sure you are quiet and use the terrain to your advantage. Also, make sure they have to come into the open where you can see them before they wind you.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for the info. I have one more question. What time would be the best time of day to go call?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 PM

I think if they are that regular I would setup close to the cows and start ambushing them when they came in. after the shooting starts they may need called in the future but I would set out all night to catch them coming in until they quit coming in. then I would use calf distress if you can do it without disturbing the cows. maybe further away at a lower volume. good luck with them! maybe you can get someone to help you doing shifts or something. a good partner is priceless.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 PM

If Your limited to what time You can call for the Coyotes the best times would be in the early mornings starting before sun up into about 2-3 hours and late evenings about the last 2 hours of day light til dark...at least thats when they move the most where we hunt here in Missouri.Were not allowed to hunt after dark using any artificial lights but can hunt by the light of the Moon,which is pretty hard to do unless its Winter time and snow on the ground!

If the Coyotes are feeding on a Dead Cow it may be better to go in quietly and just hunt over the "Bait" to shoot them!Some misc Coyote barking/yelping wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 PM

Tiller.....All advice sounds good....No nothing about cattle ranching.....During deer season have talked with several ranchers who said they lose 12 to 15% of calfs to predators......If the population of coyotes are as high as estimated and the herd has started calving.....you need to be very close to your herd......as suggest above.........be sure to watch your approach and scent on set up.........If they haven't started calving I would suggest a bait station in area where you can approach without discovery. You could call around at butchers, rendering works, ranchers and any where else you might find useable discarded meat for bait. Be careful using calf distress......I hear tale of hunters being chased out of field by upset cattle. If they are birthing I 've heard coyotes love the after birth......They will hang close...........You could ask your friends to take shifts.....

Good Luck, every dog you kill is one less to worry about....

Good Hunting let us know how things turn out
Old 04-27-2013, 12:45 AM

Definately first light and last light of the day are best times to call. If you want to use any dead calves or cows for bait that may work, but I would put them somewhere the coyotes feel safe ( that is key if you want to take them during daylight hours ) and somewhere you can view it from a long ways away, 1/2 mile plus. And have a way to sneak in unseen, such as a hill to climb over to snipe them from. This way you can view it without disturbing the coyotes and not really have to be watching over it. Then when you have a sighting, slip up over the hill from the back side and don't miss !
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Iowa yote hunter; 04-27-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

First light and last light are nearly always good, but during extremely cold weather, I have a lot of luck during midday after they have been bedded down a few hours.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 PM

Tiller, I'll be there this fall and help you out!!
FOXPRO Hellfire
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Default Thanks

Id like to thank all of you for the wonderful information.

Tags
calling, calling tips, coyote hunting, varmint