Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 PM

Default What to do this time of year?

Here in southern Indiana I'm not getting any responses period and I know that this time of year the challanges are best but I only have the female challenge should that do the trick? The coyotes basically locked up and no responses! It has also been kind of windy here any advice?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM

I have called in alot of coyotes and never have I had one come to a challenge call. I have heard of others say it works, but I have yet to see it. I would stick to the basics and mix in some non aggressive howls if you want. I would think there diet may be turning back more to live rabbits and mice this time of year. Most dead stuff should be cleaned up by now and it doesn't last as long this time of year either. Just my opinion, maybe others would be different.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa yote hunter View Post
I have called in alot of coyotes and never have I had one come to a challenge call. I have heard of others say it works, but I have yet to see it. I would stick to the basics and mix in some non aggressive howls if you want. I would think there diet may be turning back more to live rabbits and mice this time of year. Most dead stuff should be cleaned up by now and it doesn't last as long this time of year either. Just my opinion, maybe others would be different.
Good advice I would agree
Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM

I agree with Iowa Y H, I have only seen a response from a challenge call one time and it was an accident the remote control said I was on DSG Cottontail and when I kicked on the sound it was stuck on Female Challenge. 4 coyotes came charging in within seconds but that was the only time that challenge worked. I will throw a few challenge sounds in with a coyote pup distress, that has worked.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM

I agree with the senior members, have not had any luck with challenge calls. Just my opinion but I think the challenge calls limit your potential customers to a yote that likes to fight or a group of yotes, kinda like a gang affect they are looking for a fight when they have buddies to back them up. If your area has been called alot you might try some of the bird distress sounds, seems like everyone here in southern IN is using the rabbit sounds.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 PM

I guess I have to go against the grain here. I have had luck with challenge howls. I never use them unless challenged first and I respond more like a submissive coyote. I generally use a cowhorn howler and my friend uses a very realistic sounding latex howler. Both of us have called in coyotes by challenging them back.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 PM

OP it has been very quite here as well for the past 3-4 weeks,but last night I learned something new.

Couldn't find anyone to go hunting with me last night so I ended up taking my little brother who is 12 with me he had never been and I needed a light holder lol.Any way after a few spots with no luck I get on top of a ridge with a very large field,light wind blowing.The guy that owns this field said they have heard them around before and across the valley is another ridge that I have permission on as well and owners there hear em all the time.So after 15 mins on a distress call I started just goofing off with different types of single howls/group howls etc,well after about the 3 different howl I got a pack to answer me on the land across from me this was well into 45 mins of calling with distress then goofing around with the howls.The pack was down in a deep hollar <That's how I say it...They then moved on top of the ridge fairly quick and it sounded like they was right in our lap,I played with them for good 20 minutes,at one point in time I had another one on our ridge let out 3 barks and never heard any more from it.

I never tried to go call them in because I knew where they was and I just wouldn't of had a good sit up any way about it.So next week once my hunting buddy comes in from school we are going to hit that area

What I learned was just because you don't get a answer back 1: Doesn't mean they are not there and 2: Just back they don't answer right back doesn't mean they are not there

As for the challenge barks/howls go I have never had one answer back to that but we was out a few weeks ago and after howling we started walking to the truck when one let some challenge howl and barks

TC Venture Predator 204

Tags
coyote, coyote hunting