Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Post New to this. Help me out

Im new to coyote hunting. I have a Fox pro wildfire and a savage axis .243 win with varmint rounds. I live in southern Ohio and hunt flat farm lands with some woods and creek bottoms. I know there are coyotes around and have a idea where at. I need advice on set ups and calling tactics. what calls do i use? what volume? What patterns do i use different calls in? how long do i stay in one place? how long to i let each call play?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 PM

E.R. Yote just read all of the threads there is a lot of info in here you will just need to go through it and find what works the best for you
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM

There is no easy way or sure answer... basically watch your approach on the way in and always know which direction the wind is blowing. Call from the shadows, limit your movements and make sure the wind is not blowing to where you think the coyote will come from... I like to setup about 100-150 yds from the main bush and call from a fence/bush line facing the main bush with a crosswind or wind blowing in my face. I hope to have the coyote come into the open field or at least stick his head out form the bush for a look at what is making the noise in the field....It ain't easy but its exciting when they do come in...Good luck
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM

E R YOTE Try to reduce your scent...as Weasel says, "location, location, location" Need to hunt where they are....NO NOISE, Sneak in, Wind in your face or cross wind, Sun at your back (blind them), blend (camo),Sit in shadows or blend with brush, have some what open areas down wind......put caller out about 30 yards and upwind, elevated for clear broadcasting. Coyotes are pairing up for spring love now....so use female coyote sounds or you can use popular food sounds........

NOW YOU DON"T SEE THIS MENTIONED ON FORUM VERY OFTEN BUT FOXPRO HAS ANOTHER BROADCAST SHOW not their hunting show which is done very well but......

FOXPRO PREDATOR PODCAST hosted by Brian Downs (very good at what he does) who talks to the well know Predator Hunters for about an hour.....He (Brian Downs) now has 42 shows posted (about an hour long each)with need to know subject information (Pick subject that interest you)........ALL should take the time to listen, learn and you can down load them to your computer for future reference.

Hope this helps and GOOD HUNTING

Tags
amateur, coyote hunting, foxpro caller, newbie