Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 AM

Default Yepper

I try to use one on each stand. I try to get the coyote to focus on the decoy, not me.
M
Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm a dedicated decoy user. I know I have killed more coyotes, bobcats and fox as a result.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Default I hate decoys.

The concept of decoys is logical, but consider:

-some coyotes associate weird decoys with hunters
-some decoys move a little too much
-decoys will smell just like you and your truck and your house
-one more thing to carry (as well as Foxpro, rifle, shotgun, shooting sticks, etc.)

I have the big plastic rabbit that sorta jiggles and have had zero luck. You may consider stuffing an actual jack rabbit. Murray Burnham has footage of a stuffed jack being attacked on a stand. Burnham brothers even sells a feather on a stick. I've made my own decoy at the hardware store using a stake, zip ties, a spring, camo spraypaints, and a rabbit stuffed animal. It's cool and all but I leave the decoys at home any more. Just dangle a feather from fishing line with a clothespin. Maybe if you decide to get one from your own experience, then do so. Otherwise save your money for gas!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:57 PM

Im a huge believer in decoys incl. battery powered ones as well as the feather stick idea. I've used the twirling woodpecker unit and put drops of urine or whatever on the wings to help disperse the aroma.

My theory is that locking a coyotes 2 of a coyotes 3 senses works well most of the time.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 PM

I have a Foxjack on my Wildfire II and I use it on most stands. I do think from the reactions that I have seen that some coyotes are scared or intimidated by a whirling decoy. Maybe others that I never saw were scared off before I saw them- who knows? Also I have called some that seem to lock on to the sound and decoy and head right into the kill zone. It seems every coyote is different to an extent.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM

I have killed 19 coyote this fall and used a decoy half dozen times. Results are mixed. Some run from it and others circle. I find them more useful during day hunts and when calling fox personally.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM

I use the jack on my shockwave and I hunt with a scatter gun I have found the yotes are hanging up in the fields and are a little un sure of the decoy.On the other hand a had a red eating the topper while I was looking another way.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM

I'm with JMAC, I use one on every set, used to have a Wildfire with Foxjack decoy, now have a Shockwave with a Mojo critter, will be getting a foxjack 3 in the very near future, also carry a Flambeau Lone Howler Coyote Decoy during breeding season, I feel like the Decoys bring in more Coyotes, I can see Carl's point as well, I have had it happen in tight country where one will come hard charging from nowhere, and figure it out and SCRAM...leaving me feeling like someone just came up and jerked my pants down!....on the other hand, I have had them hang up in the brush and shadows and the decoy bring em out......
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM

Mojo critter here , on every set....
Ruger Percision Rifle 243 Harris extended S25C
Vortex 4x12x50 crossfire on each setup
Hornady V-Max 58gr
Old 12-08-2013, 09:46 PM

My experience has been if they could see the decoy from a little ways off it seems to lure them into it but if they pop over a hill or something and see it, it seems to startle them and they usually spook.

Tags
coyote hunting, decoys, mojo