Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Default How many guys use decoys?

I just ordered my first fox pro, and am looking forward to getting into predator hunting, coyote mostly. How many of you guys (and/or gals) use decoys when coyote hunting? Does it make a big difference if you do?

I understand that it is mainly something to keep the coyote focused on so you can adjust for the shot and what not, but I am just curious as to how helpful they are. As of now I plan to do the whole feather on a string hanging off a stick of some sort....I have heard of that before and figure it should be better than nothing.

If I do get a decoy I am thinking I will probably go the Mojo route.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Well if you look on your other thread about your call you can see the setup I have and have explained. I use a decoy on every stand. Not only does it take the attention off of me, but it confirms for the coyote something is actually there. Coyotes are very visual and will "lock on" to the decoy! I used the feather for quite some time, but found the Jack Attack works way better, especially on those calmer days. Is it needed right away, no. But will it be better than a feather...YES. I was also intrigued by the Mojo as well, but the reviews were so so on it...besides FOXPRO had one, and now with the Black Jack it's hard not to stay FOXPRO. I like the fact that the Jack Attacks can thread on to any 1/4" thread as well...see your other thread. This can be benificial in a variety of applications to old camera stands to cheap monopods. I got my adjustable monopod at Walmart for $10. I rarely use my remote for my Jack Attack, so I would think the Black Jack would be perfect.

Call- FOXPRO Spitfire
Decoys- Jack in the Box(JIB), Jack Attack, & Fawn
Rifle- Remington Model R-15™ VTR™ Predator Carbine with 18" Barrel & 1/8 Twist
Bullet- Ultramx 50gr Ballistic Tip w/ 5/8"-1" Groupings @ 100yds
Old 10-24-2011, 03:25 PM

Thanks! Yeah I saw your set up in the other thread and I like what I saw. I'm sure I will eventually get a decoy, but for now I think I will just try with the feather (well once my call gets here). I wil be keeping my eye on ebay for a decoy though...
Old 10-24-2011, 05:30 PM

I use a decoy on every stand and late in the year use a yote decoy.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 PM

I have tried them, so far they just seem to git in the way, and I have had no luck with them for some reason. not saying they are a bad thing. i do not care for them any more.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 AM

I have a Jack Attack, but have never used it. The way I see it is: a decoy may help you, but can also hurt you. I think in wide open areas, where the coyotes (and you) can see a long way, they help. I hunt in the East on small fields bordering woodlots. Many places I hunt have only 30 yards x 100 yards visible to shoot in. In areas with limited visibility, I think decoys are a hindrance. The last thing I need is a coyote running full speed at a decoy in that small an area. By the time I even blink, he''l be gone, back in the cover where I can't see/shoot him.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 PM

I have the mojo and it takes their eyes off of you which is a good thing with coyotes.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Hmm thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming. I guess I will just have to learn from personal experiences once I get my call and get out hunting. Here in western Ohio there are mostly small(ish) woodlots and a lot of very flat open farm fields. Hopefully I will find out what works best soon. I may order one of the mojo decoys if I am not having success without one...I'll know soon enough!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:10 AM

I've had 'yotes run from a decoy(prey) as often as I have had them come to it. I believe those that ran had 'been there, done that' before. I no longer use decoys.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM

Hmm I see. Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep that in mind!

Tags
coyote hunting, decoys, mojo