Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:23 AM

Post Advice for new hunter.

I'm really trying to jump into coyote hunting with both feet. I've only gone out one time thus far. I have a very steep learning curve and I'm trying to get my 12yo into this with me. I'm afraid he will lose interest if I don't get the calls to work.
Currently have camo shirts, pants and hats. AR with 3x9 Nikon and a new FoxPro Fusion.

What kind of call should I be starting with? Coyote Vocals or Prey vocals.
Is there any particular terrain I should look for or avoid for habitat?
I plan on staying primarily in the Southern Nevada area, if that helps.

Thank You

Last edited by NVRookie; 08-17-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 AM

Work the wind, start off soft with prey calls and don't move until you have to. Lot of it is trial and error. A lot of error. Set the call out in front with a crossing wind or they will down wind you. Use elevation to your advantage and sit still.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:01 PM

All good stuff ^^^^^
Try to keep the sun at you back.
Cover your shinny face and arms.
If your hunting heavily called land try off times of day /night.
I don't use any "Pray" sounds on public lands.
Two many "New" hunters using them, I use 99% coyote sounds.
Pup in distress, female yodels and a lot of challenge calls, male and female. Try to keep the volume as low as you can in the beginning.
I only walk in as far as I have to , to hide my truck from there view.
I have walked past them and force them out behind me...
Biggest thing in my mind it you HAVE to get out and keep trying different things till it works then repeat . Cant call them from the couch.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 PM

Great advice!
Thank you..

I'm going to go out again this weekend after I get more camo, head a little further out of town. i'll head out a few hours earlier this time, the heat was almost unbearable. My daughter want to go with us this time, so they will probably hear us coming..
Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM

More questions after another hunt. It was a challenge keeping the kids quiet the whole time.
I found myself competing with noise from a nearby highway, so i probably need to go to more remote locations. I did see a lot of rabbit and coyote sign. We did see a few rabbits and my kids claim to have seen a coyote.

How long should I stay on a stand when getting no results?
is it ok to mix Predator and Prey sound? I haven't.
How far away do you place the caller from the stand?

Thanks for the help...
Old 09-05-2016, 08:20 PM

I will mix prey and predator sounds. Also will use pup I distress and howls with barks to mimick a fight. Fox sounds can also work coyotes are very terratorial so they may become interested in lots of different sounds. If that animal is in the area it will make them protective to there area and if it isn't in the area they might be interested to see what it is. I have had better luck with howling and pup distress sounds the. Rabbit sounds.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:40 PM

As far as the road noise goes I work with a guy who caries mouth calls at work. He has called coyotes into the lights of a train engine several times. I'm sure they have gotten a lot of good meals of stuff we ran over. If they come into a idling 4,000 horse engine I'm sure they can hear over highway noise and may even be waiting close for the thump of road kill. Just something to think about
Old 09-13-2016, 07:48 PM

Ok, I was in your situation 3 years ago. Steep learning curve and MUCH more yet to learn.

#1 -Possum Al- read his posts and a few other guys that have been around a while and have killed more coyotes than most of us have ever seen

#2- Don't get wrapped around the axle about the "perfect set" or perfect wind. The "perfect set" is a myth most of the time. However, I think you definitely begin to see patterns of behavior with coyotes that you can use against them when choosing a location.

#3- Wind. I have killed more downwind coyotes than I have killed upwind coyotes. However I prefer to set up with the call up wind and me setting (90 degrees to the wind covering a draw, treeline or natural approach. My 1st year I did every set with the wind in my face and went out 40+ times and only got 2 yotes. In the last month I have gone out 3 times and got 2 yotes(saw 3 but was spacing off and missed the 3rd) with the wind at my 6 and yotes came in from my 12.

#4- I like prey sounds this time of year but switch to vocals and prey in winter. I use a Fusion and love it.

#5- being quiet and motionless are more important than fancy and expensive camo.

AGAIN, I am a newb! But I am 100% hooked. Possum Al gave me a lot of good info and corrected my bad sets from the 1st year.

1st year I got 2
2nd year I got 7
This year my goal is 20 and will easily get that number with the yotes in my area
Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Ok, I was in your situation 3 years ago. Steep learning curve and MUCH more yet to learn.

#1 -Possum Al- read his posts and a few other guys that have been around a while and have killed more coyotes than most of us have ever seen

#2- Don't get wrapped around the axle about the "perfect set" or perfect wind. The "perfect set" is a myth most of the time. However, I think you definitely begin to see patterns of behavior with coyotes that you can use against them when choosing a location.

#3- Wind. I have killed more downwind coyotes than I have killed upwind coyotes. However I prefer to set up with the call up wind and me setting (90 degrees to the wind covering a draw, treeline or natural approach. My 1st year I did every set with the wind in my face and went out 40+ times and only got 2 yotes. In the last month I have gone out 3 times and got 2 yotes(saw 3 but was spacing off and missed the 3rd) with the wind at my 6 and yotes came in from my 12.

#4- I like prey sounds this time of year but switch to vocals and prey in winter. I use a Fusion and love it.

#5- being quiet and motionless are more important than fancy and expensive camo.

AGAIN, I am a newb! But I am 100% hooked. Possum Al gave me a lot of good info and corrected my bad sets from the 1st year.

1st year I got 2
2nd year I got 7
This year my goal is 20 and will easily get that number with the yotes in my area
Very educational and thanks for sharing.

Tags
coyote, predator hunting, s. nevada