Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Fox Hunting

Fox Hunting Near and dear to the FOXPRO Family. The place for all discussions specific to fox hunting, including stories, photos, techniques, and questions.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:56 AM

Default Success with a spare hour or two happens!

Good morning,
My stepson Sam and I had a blast last night while hunting fox near our house.
During the week it's difficult to put in a 6 hour night when there is high school and my day job to get to the next morning.
I decided to get Sam out for a couple hours after dinner last night and that decision paid off.
I have had Sam practice on my .22 WMR and I use the shotgun and we are still working out a few kinks - (Red fox runs up to 20 yards and I am holding the scanning light, standing up behind Sam as he sits poised to shoot any fox that stops 40-80 yards away. Well...the kink at our 1st stand was the Red fox was booking in towards my caller set 15 yards out in front of us. No amount of lip squeaking, yodeling, meowing was stopping this fox. Sam and I just blew it. I wasn't able to hand off the light to him and I couldn't get the scatter gun up at all from how i was cradling it with my left arm. Live and learn. Sam and I are going to work on that issue).

The 3rd and last stand was where we had some success. Calling a small parcel of land, surrounded by lots of other great cover. It's all we need. After about 12 minutes of scanning and nothing I switch to the Foxpro platinum grey fox sound. As we were about ready to end the stand I spotted eyes way off to our far right. The was in the general down wind direction and this particular red fox did the textbook downwind thing...I mention that because many don't seem to even care.

I alerted Sam to the eyes and he picked them up pretty fast also. It seemed to pause for a short while but we waited as I believed it too be 100 yards away. Soon the fox was moving toward our Foxpro Inferno caller and I whispered to Sam to wait and let him come in. At about what I guessed to be 70 yards I asked Sam if he was ready and he confirmed he was. A few lip squeaks and this fox stopped perfectly for us.

Sam squeezed off a shot and we heard that familiar sound which I call an impact hit. It's how you know for sure you didn't air ball it. The Fox went down immediately and with that Sam had shot his 2nd Red Fox of our Pennsylvania season. It was something really great to be a part of and I could tell he was very proud of his shot.

As we walked to retrieve our furry little prize Sam was telling me how exciting it is to see those eyes and then to make the shot. That to me, is what it's all about. I will try to attach a pic.

Thanks for reading. Happy calling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sams fox Tuesday 12202016.jpg (34.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Sams fox Tuesday 12202016 shot 2.jpg (34.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:21 AM

Great story! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:21 AM

Fantastic! This is the start of a lot of good times for you guys.....he sounds hooked for sure.

You stated you couldn't pass off the light in order to take a shot.....are you guys only running a scan light? No kill lights mounted?
Old 12-21-2016, 11:27 AM

Default Exactly - no Kill lights YET

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNAVYORDIE View Post
Fantastic! This is the start of a lot of good times for you guys.....he sounds hooked for sure.

You stated you couldn't pass off the light in order to take a shot.....are you guys only running a scan light? No kill lights mounted?
I really had a feeling we need to get some tube mounted kill light and a scope mounted light for his 22 WMR. Is that our missing piece? I feel it might be.
We are only running the Fire eye scan light.

I have to admit I am in awe of the new tech available for predator hunting. I am a guy that just got back into night fox hunting after 10 years away from it.
To call me old school would be an understatement. I came from that time when i was using cassettes and nite lite raccoon handheld lights.

I bought some new kit recently, the Foxpro caller and scan light so those both are like some slice of heaven to me!

Kill lights? yea I think we need some.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxerNOpro1966 View Post
I really had a feeling we need to get some tube mounted kill light and a scope mounted light for his 22 WMR. Is that our missing piece? I feel it might be.
We are only running the Fire eye scan light.

I have to admit I am in awe of the new tech available for predator hunting. I am a guy that just got back into night fox hunting after 10 years away from it.
To call me old school would be an understatement. I came from that time when i was using cassettes and nite lite raccoon handheld lights.

I bought some new kit recently, the Foxpro caller and scan light so those both are like some slice of heaven to me!

Kill lights? yea I think we need some.
Yes Sir mount some kill lights! It will make one heck of a difference. Once you get eyes with the scan light, you can turn the kill light on and put the scan light aside and be ready for action. You can get under barrel mounts for shot guns....I would suggest taking a look at Allpredatorcalls.com they have a good selection. I recommend the adjustable mounts for kill lights on scopes....you can "zero" your light right into the field of view of your scope. Pretty cool.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Thank you, great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNAVYORDIE View Post
Yes Sir mount some kill lights! It will make one heck of a difference. Once you get eyes with the scan light, you can turn the kill light on and put the scan light aside and be ready for action. You can get under barrel mounts for shot guns....I would suggest taking a look at Allpredatorcalls.com they have a good selection. I recommend the adjustable mounts for kill lights on scopes....you can "zero" your light right into the field of view of your scope. Pretty cool.
That is great advice I will heed. Thank you very much XNAVYORDIE.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxerNOpro1966 View Post
That is great advice I will heed. Thank you very much XNAVYORDIE.
You are very welcome! This is a great forum to learn from. Some really good folks here.

Good luck to you and your hunting Buddy this season! Keep sharing the stories and pics!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:11 PM

Great replay and pictures too. Can't beat that. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Congrats nicely done.

Tags
foxpro caller, predator hunting, red fox hunting, red fox kill