Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Feline Hunting

Feline Hunting No, not the place for housecats. This is for the "other"cats, including bobcats and mountain lions (the BIG cats).

Old 12-01-2017, 04:48 PM

Default MN- Triple Bobcat w/ 2 shots

With MN Bobcat season opening last wknd 11/28 and me just finding this forum I thought this is the crowd that will enjoy the story the most.

I am fairly new to predator hunting and just entering my 3rd season. It all started in 2015 during our deer rifle season when I witnessed a large bobcat come feed on a gut pile from a deer taken 1st wknd. After watching this animal I was set on hunting one on our property. I jumped into researching how to go about hunting bobcat and started picking up things I needed. By the time I got things I was late in the game to the 2015 bobcat hunt but kept at it late winter for yotes and learning the ropes.

Enter 2016- I scouted all winter prior for sign and used Game cams through spring, summer, fall to learn patterns. I found several areas in our young pines they were heavily working for food and marking territory from winter prior. I also aligned that to several brush piles on neighboring land that is potlach(timber company). This is landlocked and when they did a thinning cut of pine sections they created huge slash piles that were def harboring cats.

Opening morning I put myself in our field that separates our pines and the big woods of potlach with brush piles. As hunting time began I fired up the Fox pro Snowshoe HP, let it run increasing sound over time. at the 27 minute mark of calling I had a cat enter the field just 15 yds away from me. I was completely exposed from that direction so stayed tight as I could with face turned away as much as I could. The cat trotted right towards my call and critter and as soon as it was looking away I rose my gun, I think the little sound I made was perfect enough to stop the cat in it's tracks at 20 yds away from me and that's when it happened. All the time invested and I had my first predator on the ground and it was a huge bobcat to boot!

As I sat there shaking with excitement I went to grab my phone and get a snap of my scene and cat down. Just as I was about to raise phone for pic I caught a glimpse of 2 more cats roaming through the same pines the 1st cat came out of. They made there way to the edge but would not commit to coming out and there was no shot at them. I flipped calls a few times to coax them out but no luck. Eventually they must have not liked what was going on and decided to leave. Lucky for me they made there way back to where I got my glimpse. At the time the call was off and one approached a small window where I would get my potential shot at about 50yds inside of the pines. When it stepped into the opening I made a vocal squeak and that was just enough to freeze it. It was now or never and I squeezed off on what will go down as my best day of hunting. One cat went down in my scope but right behind I saw the 2nd cat spin for a second and then went down. I had no idea they were standing shoulder to shoulder and because I wasn't sure the 2nd cat went down, I waited for what turned out to be the longest 30 minutes of my life. As I walked into the pines I approached both cats next to each other and the amount of excitement that hit me is what it is all about!

Not sure how many people can say they called 3 mature bobcats into one set...let alone get all 3 with 2 shots to boot?

Gun: RugerM77 22-250
Ammo: Hornady Vmax 55GR
Call: FoxPro Banshee
Sound: Snoeshoe HP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobcat Triple #1.jpg (99.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Bobcat Triple #2.jpg (96.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by MNBobcatHunter; 12-01-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 PM

Congrats are definitely due.
How many cats are you allowed to harvest in MN ?
We are allowed only 1 per year.
What do you have planned for an encore ? lol
Old 12-01-2017, 05:28 PM

Default Answer to limit

We can take 5 cats per season....should have mentioned it

Not much I can do in my lifetime to top that.....but I am keeping after cats. From when i took those 3 I have 32 separate times in the last year of cats crossing my cams...of that at least 4 are different cats.

This guy is the target this season
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 819 - Copy.jpg (97.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 820.jpg (97.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-01-2017, 10:13 PM

A Giant Congratulations on your efforts and the results you reaped.

My post just below your's, "Virginia Bobcat" and your comments have several things in common. A lot of research went into both of them. Trail cameras pictures, compiled with scouting paid off for both of us. Other things in common was the Timber Company land being close by for both of us, and new pine growth. this all confirmed the research that I dug up from Mississippi State University PhD candidates. they have a huge bobcat population down there and they attributed that to the "bobcat friendly habitat" of young pines 0-8 years old that had been planted after timber operations.

Hopefully others can benefit from your post and mine and be encouraged to get out there and do the leg work and collect the intel to harvest more of these beauties.

Last edited by Sonny Pruitt; 12-01-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:14 PM

That's awesome. Those are beautiful cats. Congrats.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:23 AM

Congrats on your success and thanks for sharing your tips.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 PM

Sounds like a HUNT OF LIFETIME congrats. Those are some beautiful cats and thanks for sharing.