Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Of course we had to include a forum for another favorite past time. From calling geese with the FOXPRO, to sharing photos of your successful duck hunts. Be sure to introduce your dog!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Default Black Duck/Mallard Hybrid

Have not hunted since before Christmas (fractured my wrist...bummer with my partners mopping up the canada geese, mallards and black ducks for over two weeks). Finally went today...dang wrist is tender...oh well. Thought I would share a clasic example of a hybrid cross...mallard and black duck.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 PM

That's a real interesting look. Glad to hear you're getting out. You must have been gritting your teeth with every pull of the trigger.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 PM

Hi Weasel...how you doing? I hope you are feeling ok with the cold weather.

Shooting Saturday did not bother my wrist. Twisting it does...and keeping my fingers warm with this brace is a challenge.

It has been a tough couple of weeks. My ducking buddies (we have gunned together for over 30 years) are GREAT. THANK GOD FOR GOOD FRIENDS.

With my bad legs and now a broken wrist...and the best duck weather all year (cold…I live for snow and first ice)...they feel sorry for me. Since I have not been able to hunt (they know it has been killing me) keep showing up with picked ducks and geese. One day they brought me a mess of green wing teal picked (they know green wing teal are my favorite for the table). When I went Saturday...they even helped me put on and take off my boots. They would do anything to help...dang they are good friends.

I know you guys west of the Mississippi don’t shoot black ducks...but they are a staple here along the Mid-Atlantic coast. With there numbers dropping...each one that breeds with a mallard and produces hybrids hurts. We have killed many hybrids over the years...but this one is very unique.

Gonna try to get out after work tomorrow with the FX5...it has been 3 weeks and the reds are every where looking for mates now (watch one from the house today on the prowl around lunch time). I can't stand it anymore.

This Saturday we have two weeks of late gun deer season and fox hunting is closed during deer gun seasons. If I don't go this week...I will have to wait even longer.

Good to hear from you Weasel.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 AM

neat. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Green wings are my favorite too. We had some great years on the Pacific flyway. I've taken many more geese since moving to Utah, but I sure miss the shooting and especially eating of those little birds.
Good luck with the Reds. I'm looking forward to pictures, ya know!