Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:36 AM

Thumbs up Of course more deer down with the FX5!

Well this year in my part of Illinoi it has been some hard hunting. The deer numbers don't seem to be where they were 5 years ago. Have only seen a couple of real good bucks this year and have seen plenty of Does. I called a doe in using the Fawn Bawl the one that sounds like a deer not the one that sounds like a baby crying on November 6th. Well tonight I heard some noise and grunting behind me in the timber so I hit the light sparring on the FX5 and then some buck grunts followed by some doe estrus grunts. I went back and forth with the buck grunts and doe bleats 3 times. I waited and nothing. Just as I was about to say the hell with it, a HUGE possum came out. I switched my good deer arrow for my critter getter arrow. I waited until the possum was at about 20 yards. I pulled back and then I heard more crashing, I looked and sure enough the buck finally showed his face about 3 minutes after playing the sequence. I looked at his body it looked big then I looked at the right side of his rack the one close to me. I noticed it was past his ears and it seemed tall with ok tine length. Notice I didn't say anything about mass because I was a dumbass and didn't pay attention to his mass. I was just so excited about him coming to the call, I had already made my mind up that I was shooting him. Well I finally got him to stop at about 20 to 25 yards and he was quartering away from me. I put the pin on him and hit the release. I was just wishing that I would have used my deer arrow. The critter getter arrow only has 2 vanes on it and two of the three muzzy blades were bent and chipped and God knows what else was wrong with them. Well I couldn't change out the arrow so thats the one I sent at him. He did the most astounding double leg high kick that I have ever seen. I know I hit him good so I watched as he ran across the open cut corn field. He ran farther than any deer I have ever shot. It appeared that he ran straight ahead and then lost his footing and fell right over. I called my little boy who is 9 years old and told him to get his boots on if he wanted to go with me to retrieve the deer. He was excited as could be. I picked him up and one of my buddies. We went straight out to where the blood trail started. We tracked and tracked and tracked. The blood trail was consistent but not normal. I told him I made a great shot on the deer and I swore I saw it go down. He was nervous with the amount of blood we had but we kept with it. Finally my buddy is scanning the area and says hey, whats that in my beam of light. I said thats my F'ing deer! LOL We ran over to him took a few quick photos, loaded him in the sled behind the 4 wheeler and headed back to the truck and trailer. I realized I killed a baby with great genetics so that was a little disappointing but on the positive side, I have food for the table and another successful hunt thanks to the best hunting invetment I have ever made, My Fox Pro FX5! He weighed 200 pound on the dot and only is 110 inches. He duped me, I thought he was at least 120 to 125. Not even close but the good news is, I have another buck tag left!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 AM

I failed to mention. The doe was 140 pounds that I took on November 6th. She came in to the call and was all by herself.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:26 AM

I would be thrilled to see deer like that here in MA! Congratulations!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:33 PM

I've been looking forward to your deer posts. WTG! Good luck on your other tag.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:06 PM

I have had a couple of bruisers within shooting range but no shots. The next buck I post hopefully will be a Pope and Young deer. These two eat real well though. I get a bunch of emails from folks from here on the forums about deer questions quite often. If anyone needs any help feel free to contact me. If it's legal to use a Fox Pro in your state for whitetails and your not doing it, then your missing out.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Foxpro callers work well on muledeer and elk, too. I have plans on using my Foxppro caller on pronghorns. I'm shooting with a camera so it's perfectly legal everywhere.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Unfortunately, I have never been elk hunting or mule deer hunting. One of these days maybe.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 AM

Well I have another one down. Will post pics soon. The grunt call on my FX5 did him in.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM

I used whitetail fawn in distress last week and had muledeer all over me. The only footage I got was of deer standing behind cover while blowing and stomping. My friend laughed because I did the same thing he does. I didn't push RECORD!

Looking forward to your photos.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM

No monsters down this year. I can tell you this though, I have a couple of buddies that will be purchasing a Fox Pro for whitetail hunting in Illinois. I have told them and told them and showed them the results because after all they help drag them all out. LOL Any way on this hunt I was having trouble staying awake. LOL I have been hunting hard and putting in late hours skinning deer since I am also a taxidermist, it's been crazy busy. Getting to bet at 2 and back up by 4 takes it toll after a few days. Any way I caught myself trying to fall asleep about 25 feet up in an oak tree and I had 2 Does come out of no where. As soon as I seen them I grabbed for the FX5 because they were going away from me. If they were hot Does I figured maybe they would come back and investigate. I hit the buck grunt and let it grunt three times. I turned it off and put it back in my bag. It was 30 to 45 seconds and I heard some rustling coming from the ravine I was hunting next to. All of a sudden before I knew it there was this buck standing 75 yards from me and he was looking for a fight. The Does didn't circle back but that didn't matter. I shot him and he ran to the top of a hill and when he made it to the top of the hill he was losing control and he came crashing right back down the hill hitting huge oak trees and he ended up breaking off his G3. We looked for it but to no avail in the mud and leaves. He finally came to rest up against an oak that was about 5 foot in circumference. Any way here is another one down and I have three more Doe permits left so I can pretty much guarantee that those will be filled as well. Right now I have 4 deer down, should be a total of 7 within the next 2 weeks.

One of my buddies asked me how often I take my Fox Pro with me. I told him that it is just as important to me as my bow or my gun when I go hunting, it is a MUST. Happy Hunting everyone and I hope you all have a great year.

Last edited by psycho; 11-21-2011 at 08:06 PM.