Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Default 2 Awesome MT whitetail! LOTS OF PICS!

New here and thought i would show ya'll pics of my 09 buck and my girlfriend's 09 buck which was her first ever. So here they are!
Killed mine on Thanksgiving morning after hunting hard for 5 days straight. Got him on my last morning to hunt since i had to get back to Missoula for work. Made a 1/2 mile stalk on him and closed the distance to 100 yards. 270 130gr Federal Fusion hit him right in the chest and took out his heart, lungs and liver. only ran 40 yards. My second biggest buck to date. Biggest was 156" and this one was 141".

My buck on the left and on the right a buck that my buddy took of the same land the evening before. His scored 142"

Now for my girl's buck. Spotted him out in a huge stubble field and started to belly crawl to him. We realized that he was walking straight away from us to drop off the field down into the brush to bed down. We got up and walked/ran 600 yards across the field with stubble no higher than our boots. No other cover. He dropped off the hill and we caught our breath. We walked to the edge of the hill and he was 100 yards below us drinking out of a little spring. Dusti settled the crosshairs of her 270 and squeezed the trigger. He humped up and hopped off about 10 yards and fell over. Her first buck ever! I have never seen someone so composed when they were taking a shot at a buck. Hers scored 127" Has a 4" sticker off his G2 on one side. Lots of character.

Hope ya'll enjoyed the pics as much as I enjoyed spending my limited time hunting this year! All these bucks were taken off the same land all within 500 yards of each other!

Last edited by coyotekiller; 12-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Y'all are taking some great bucks. Thanks for posting the photos.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM

Very, very nice. That first one is HEAVY!
Romans 1:16
Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Thats the one i shot. Thats what i liked about him so much. If only he would have had more width to him. He was only 14" wide. But Im getting a shoulder mount of him to go up with my 156" buck that i shot 5 years ago.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Nice Montana whitetail

There was getting to be some nice whities there 20 years ago I bet theres some record book whities there now. I see some mountains way off in one pic, what side of the state. I used to live in Dillon and there was some monsters in those river bottoms.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:06 AM

We shot these about 4 miles outside of Choteau. Choteau is about an hour NW of Great Falls. Only about 25 miles from the Rocky Mnt front. I actually went to school at Western my freshman year and saw some big bucks outside of town along the river and on the Matador Ranch.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM

congratulations! Nice Bucks. My 13 year old got his first buck this year, I shot one and lost him, saw him again 2 weeks after season closed, big red spot where hair should have been on his lower neck where my bullet exited, but he survived and hopefully will be around next year. He was a nice buck. My wife did not get a deer this year. I got an elk. Our deer pop is way down thanks to wolves, bears and lions. in '08' they issued about 600 doe tags I think, there was alot anyway, in '09' they issued about 30 doe tags. Usually i see a ton of bucks and this past year I saw a total of about 5. I am looking for another place to hunt deer til the pop comes back up. I like going to Harlowton, they have some big muley s and whitetails. Next year. congrats to your girlfriend.
Life Mbr NAHC
US Army Sniper

"Don't Bother To Run You Will Only Die Tired"