Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Tips From the Pros

Tips From the Pros Get valuable knowledge from the best in the business! Read enticing articles and ask questions here.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 PM

Default Looking for ideas to bring in coyotes in wolf country

Im in N-NW MN flat country 60% woods brush swampland 40% pasture,hayland,crop stubble have a good population of coyotes and more and more wolves moving in every year calling is slow 1 out of every 20 stands produce . coyotes are very cautious to come in do to wolf packs passing through . I grew up in outdoors hunting trapping etc . understand and live by using the right wind , sound , sight . walking in to stands leaving pickup out of sight. wanted to get your thoughts on call sequences currently doing 15 min gun and run with lightning jack , raspy woodpecker , greyfox distress etc . one or other not all on same stand. also doing longer 30 min stands using 5 min vole squeaks 5 min silence 10-15 min distress sounds and 5 min silence with all about same results . In talking with respectable callers they all say its slow do to wolf presence which I believe is true. Would welcome any input on different call strategies . Also very little calling pressure from other hunters do to what I described so coyotes don't here a lot of callers. Thank You .
Old 01-02-2015, 06:11 PM

I've noticed the wolves are pushing the coyotes closer to people. Similar to what coyotes did with fox. I'm finding more coyotes closer to people and houses.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:31 PM

My farm is in far NE WI, about 60 miles North of Green Bay. Similar country, fewer wolves but they're getting more plentiful every year. I've found that coyote howls right after dark typically set off any yotes or groups pretty quickly. If there's a wolf or wolves in that part of the range, they typically open up next, and from then on, all coyote sounds cease. I've persisted the coyote howls a few times and had a single wolf come through, but no coyotes. They know what happens to challengers, and seem to want no part of it.

When I stop calling after hearing a wolf, about 1 in 3 times I'll get coyotes come by looking for contact. They won't make a sound coming in. In those cases, they're also very wary of everything. It usually takes a few hours before they show up; in most cases, the original howls sounded close enough that they should have been there much sooner. They're pretty wary once they hear a wolf, but they will come to the sound of a lone howl.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 PM

best bet is to use a Savage 22-250 and start whackin wolves.
(grin).
Old 01-05-2015, 10:59 PM

Hey bucks thanks for all your help over the years . as far as your response to my question all I can say is
Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 PM

I would stay on stand all of 45 min and do mostly coyote vocals. Either the coyotes will come in feeling confident there is another coyote already there or a wolf will come in to investigate. In either case you know what to do.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Default Wolf hunting

was told to use wolf vocals as well as yote vocals to bring in wolves. distress doesn't seem to work as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (42.1 KB, 17 views)