Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > General Discussion > Fireside Chat

Fireside Chat Open Discussion Forum. Join us around our fire for every day chit chat.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:55 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Default A decoy story

Here is a decoy story that you may enjoy. About 25 years ago, I bought my first ecaller, a Johnny Stewart, the first one with a remote control. I was all fired up with the idea of being able to get that sound away from me, and to be able to mute, etc..

Then I got my creative juices flowing, and worked out a good way to hang the ecaller and present a decoy at the same place. I made a tripod out of pvc, which was free standing with a camo skirt around the point where the three legs crossed each other. I had a hook under the camo cloth to hang the ecaller on. One of the legs had an entry grommet where I fed 20 lb. test monofilament fishing line into the pvc and out the end. I hung a fox squirrel tail on the end, and the line fed back to where I sat about 50 yds away, and fed off an old Langley fishing reel. I could turn the ecaller on, and make that squirrel tail jump and wiggle to suit me. Man, it had me fired up!

About ten minutes into the first use for my setup, a big redtail hawk came swooping down, grabbed that squirrel tail, and went flying off. After he had flown about 10 to 15 yds, I "Set the hook" and nearly pulled him inside out. He dropped the squirrel tail, and flew to a nearby bare top oak, and raised all kinds of typical hawk hell. I can still remember how hard I laughed at the whole incident, and it tickles me even today.

I had this setup work well for both coyotes and fox many times.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 PM

That had to be a blast to watch!

Hawks and owls are amazing to see react to the calls.....especially at night. Catching the eyes and instead of bouncing in they come in fast and smooth!

A few nights ago had an owl come in and swipe at my Fusion that was set on a fence post....had my scan pro on him the whole time....my kid had a huge smile on his face...he couldn't wait to tell Mom and friends about it...it's things like this that make up the hunting experience...not just fur on the deck.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Too bad we don't have video of all the crazy things that happen to us.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

You sure are right about that, Mr. Weasel. Some of that stuff is priceless. My late brother and I were squirrel hunting one morning, and he was seated under a big cedar, watching a fencerow out in front about 25 yds.. He must have tried to hit a mosquitoe or fly, and a hawk crashed down through that cedar and knocked his hat off his head. Somehow his concentration suffered some for the rest of that hunt.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Memories are Great----many years ago I was Hand calling along a fence line on a Moonlight night and this large Snowy Owl nearly took my chook off my head Man they have scary eyes LOL lost a few decoys over the years too-----Great Post Possumal ' It brings back many memories . Thanks for posting yours---

svb
Old 01-15-2019, 12:08 PM

Once I drew 4 coyotes directly by my stand with the jack in the box. Sold me on that right then. Then one other time I turned it on while the coyote was hung up 300 yards out. The decoy scared him off. LOL
Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 PM

MY wife got me a fox jack for Christmas this year. The first time out with it I had the bird topper on and in full motion while using Nutty Nuthatch on the caller, about 2 min, in a medium sized owl swooped down with talons extended and at the very last second it swerved off and landed about 3 feet from the caller and just sat there watching that decoy spin, then it was gone just as quickly as it showed up.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 PM

I did enjoy that, thank you for sharing it.