Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Tips From the Pros

Tips From the Pros Get valuable knowledge from the best in the business! Read enticing articles and ask questions here.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 PM

The Leupold Scopes are a good quality and they are nice and clear in the early mornings/late evenings when You have low-light conditions and most cheaper scopes will cloud up.Most of my Rifles sport the Leupold Rifleman 3X9X40mm matte-black scopes,that run about $175.00 to $225.00.....You can always spend more as mentioned earlier and get into the 50mm Leupolds.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 10-09-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM

I too echo what gvolk said..as I want closer shots as opposed to the farther. I like Nikon prostaffs. they are reasonably priced and work well for my shooting needs...Trijicons are my absolute favorite..but thats the other end of the spectrum from prostaffs and i havent broke down and bought one yet.... but have seen guys drop stuff at a decent clip with el cheapos too. Comes down to what you want to spend and what your eyeballs say "ewww, this looks good"
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 PM

I just ordered one of these Weaver 2.5x10x50 with an illuminated reticle. I am anxious to get it and get to the range with it. I want to try it with the monobloc adapter and the PVS-14.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...800703&src=sim
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 AM

critter-getter88, what is the terrain like where you plan to hunt? Wide open long distance spaces, close brushy cover, both? Only day time, or night hunting as well? Are you going to hunt only coyotes, or will you also hunt game as small as prairie dogs?
Like has been said "you get what you pay for" especially in optics.

I have used a fixed 4x to shoot the best groups I ever shot at 300 yards, but my eyes were much better back then. If you want to cover all of the above, you will need a good quality variable on your AR (my opinion is nothing costing less than $300 and the more the better). You have an expensive gun, so don't install a cheap scope which will limit the gun.

If you night hunt, the lower the power the better as well as the larger the diameter, ie 30mm tube and 50mm objective will gather more light. If not then a 1" and 40mm will work fine.

A suggestion is to take a lesson from the 3 gun guys and have a variable scope up top for longer ranges and a red dot set at a 45* angle you can take close/fast moving game with.

I have Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, Weaver and one Swarovski scope and have used several other brands. With the more expensive models of each, you won't go wrong.

Personally I don't care for the fancy range finding reticles. When you are excited and under pressure to make the shot, they are too much of a distraction. You need to practice with them a lot to learn them well.

JMO and good luck on your choice.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Give Vortex Optics a good look! Great scopes and superb warranty! I can't afford the upper end scopes so I went with a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 PA and couldn't be happier!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM

I have the Leupold VX II 3 - 9 X40 and am pleased with it. Of course I have mine set at 2.45 inches high at 100 yards which gives me a Maximum Point Blank Range of 310 yards so I don't even consider using hold over or needing one of those range finding scopes or range finders I figure anything over 310 yards isn't visible anyhow with my eyes.
MPBR = 2.5 inches above or below line of sight which puts it in the vital area from muzzle to 310 yards
Firestorm w/ Foxjack decoy
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails

Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings
Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 AM

-------Vortex---crosshair--Ill center red dot ret--------I was so impressed that all my predator guns wear them now------sb-p.s. great at dusk and night hunting
Old 12-10-2013, 07:03 PM

my favorite is a Zeiss mounted on my TC in Ruger .204. On my Bushy AR I keep a 3x9 Nikon. The Zeiss has a superior "picture". Like the others I think that you certainly get what you pay for.

Jeff S.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

The clearest scope, with the best light pickup in fading light, that I have looked through is the Trijicon 2 x 10 x 56 with the green dot in the center. You can pay more or less, but that is the most functional scope I have seen.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumal View Post
The clearest scope, with the best light pickup in fading light, that I have looked through is the Trijicon 2 x 10 x 56 with the green dot in the center. You can pay more or less, but that is the most functional scope I have seen.
I read a review on this scope a while back. I was sold! The reviewer compared it to a number of other scopes and this one came out on top. It's on my wish list.