Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Tips From the Pros

Tips From the Pros Get valuable knowledge from the best in the business! Read enticing articles and ask questions here.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 AM

Default Set up in the woods or field for fox?

As a newbie I have set up on corn, soy,and grass fields and shot my first red fox. I was in the field facing a woods edge wind in my face and shot the fox at the edge. My question is what type of set up would be good in the middle of the woods and how hard would it be to get a shot off as far as seeing? Or can you give me the pros and cons of setting up in the wood verses the fields. I would like to try it but do not go about how to do it. I hope this question makes sense.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 AM

For night hunting
Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM

I have called in woods during the early morning with success. calling in morning allows more light as time goes on. another trick I have learned it use tree stands in woods after big game season. get you off ground allowing better view and ur above predator eye level
Old 12-13-2015, 10:52 AM

woods is great in the day, but try to run the light in the woods at night and its lights up every tree and bush close real bright . almost impossible to see in.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 PM

For night hunting, I never set up in woods. As mentioned, the lights (assuming you are using lights) brighten up the surroundings too much and this tends to spook predators. Remember, predators want to feel secure as they move and the unnatural light is not helping their confidence. Fox have no problem crossing open fields in the darkness of night. When I seek spots, I like the most open fields - that have huge vistas so I can see incoming fox from a distance - the best.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 PM

I hunt the same as Andy....woods during the day...at night big fields and edges...I like wind . In my face....but crosswinds are no problems with my setups.