Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Question Coyote Hunting with the Wild fire 2 call NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!

I have a question for any expierenced callers using the wild fire 2 set up. I have been coyote hunting for a couple of years now and have only killed 1 so far. Some of that comes into play on me calling and friends shooting. Anyways i live in southwest ohio and want to know if anyone has any tricks for me to be more successful. I usually go out about an hour before dusk and do not stop hunting multiple spots until 2 am. i currently use the lightning jack is my main sound i go with. I lay down cottontail urine to mask any smell around the call and spray some sort of scent (coyote urine, cotton tail , or predator lure) around myself to mask me. I have them calling all around me and they stay around a couple hundred yards out in the wood out of my sight. How can i bring them in closer? Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-02-2014, 04:10 PM

There are many details left out as to what kind of light, how you use it, how you set up, etc. When things aren't working, I often recommend for a person to go back to basics and simplify things. Read some of the tutorials you can access from FoxPro's front page. There are a lot of tips right here on the forums too. Be particularly concerned with scent and movement.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 PM

I would first recommend using a red lens or green lens on your light to not scare the predators away by using white light if you haven't done so already. Change up your sounds don't just stick with only 1 or 2, use something different. I have fooled yotes by just sitting in silence after the stand, because many will see they haven't called anything in and just right away get up collect there call and stuff and leave. The yote will watch you do that. I have had this happen at night before guiding a client multiple times they were older yotes.

Last edited by countrystrong; 10-03-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:04 AM

I mainly hunt in the west and during the day, but back to basics like Weasel mentioned might be the trick over there as well. What we do is get to our area, set the call (Fury), and turn it on. No extra movement, noise or time with scents, just quick and basic. Also, if you haven't, try the vole squeak with your mouth/palm if you can hear them; especially if you spot them before they see you. Most prey can make that sound.

Tags
coyote, ohio, wildfire 2