Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > General Discussion > Fireside Chat

Fireside Chat Open Discussion Forum. Join us around our fire for every day chit chat.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:25 PM

Default Maybe it's age

Getting to the point where hunting isn't as much fun as I remember it being. not sure if it is age or if it is hiking 2 miles in snow where at times I was post holing all the way to my crotch. Was ok as long as I stayed on the snowmobile trail, only going ankle deep, but the instant you get off that it really really became a chore to say yes this is what I need to do if I want to be successful.
Was a total of 5 miles off the road and the first 3 miles were where I plowed the road with my side by side,,, HOWEVER the last 2 miles were a total Bit*h especially when you try to get some elevation so you can see the surrounding country Post holing to the crotch going up hill If it weren't for the fact that only have 2 more critters to complete my bucket list, a cougar and a bobcat, I'd be having a lot of guns for sale.
So have decided it is either age or that Always doing it by myself instead of having a "Hunting buddy' to also endure the self inflicted abuse but hunting is definitely not the fun I remember it being.
Not sure what it was as did not see anything or see any new tracks but while sitting there something went through on the upwind side that sure had a strange smell, guess needed someone sitting on the uphill side of the huge downfall
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails
Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings

Last edited by Jingles; 02-26-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:16 PM

Hahah, I am with ya on that! I don't enjoy it like I used to; but when I have my son or grandsons along then I do enjoy it much more these days. I do now what I used to do, only much slower...haha.... I convince myself I have to continue to some degree for my physical and psychological well being... I think there may be some truth to that; so Jingles keep at it as long as you can and I hope for you a big Tom Cougar and Bob Cat.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:20 AM

I have been retired since I was 51.
I hunt ( all kinds) more than ever.
More time more $$$$. I'm well past center '60s and can't get enough.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:36 AM

I hear you Lima Charlie Doc....

I'm only 55 but all the sports growing up and especially the Navy took a toll on me that has really started to show the accelerated wear and tear...I hate to belly ache about things but my knee, hip and back are really starting to keep me away from hunting as much as I would like. MD Archer got me back into it several years back. Now my youngest Son (15)has been into it as well. They both keep me going and I love being out there with them both.

However, there are times I feel I hold them back as I can't navigate the rougher terrain as easily anymore, meaning there are some spots we just can't get to and I feel they miss out because of me. Not bragging, but that good 'ol Uncle Sam training is still in me and I can make some pretty darn long pokes....which more often than not either Archer or my Son have to retrieve for me depending on the terrain...especially if at night. That can build up some heavy mind in the brain bucket and take away some of the enjoyment for all.

From what I know of you from our discussions in the past Doc, if you are still putting in that kind of mileage walking and post holing in crotch high snow....you are still one tough SOB not to be messed with! Full speed ahead! HOOYAH!
Old 02-28-2020, 12:59 PM

Preydeception and XNAVYORDIE
WOW thanks for the encouragement and letting me know that if others are having tougher than before times at 55 I guess it is ok to be having them at 71 but it does take a little longer than desired to recover.
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails
Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings