Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:24 AM

Default E-call placement

I've been calling yotes for a few years now and I'm constantly trying to up my odds for killing these dirty dogs. I do not use hand calls for a number of reasons, the main reason being that I suck at them. My question is, I see these shows on TV and listen to guys talk about their set up. I see guys place their e-caller out away from where they are sitting to draw attention away from them. That's the way I do it too. The longer I do this, the more I'm concerned about being seen putting the call out by yotes before I even sit down. If I was using hand calls I would simply slip in and start my calling sequence. I get the idea of having the sounds coming from somewhere away from me, but what's the difference. Am I better off just putting the caller by me, or is it worth trying to put it out away from me. I'd appreciate some of your thoughts.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:59 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I feel putting the caller away from you is too big an advantage to give up. I put a lot of effort into planning my approach to my sit down spot so I can drop the ecaller off on my way, as opposed to going out 50 yds or so, and then back. Takes a little planning but it is doable. Keep in mind that you want the coyote to come in downwind from the ecaller, not downwind from you. Again, that takes some thinking but it has paid off for me many times over the years.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:52 PM

I hunted a lot in michigans upper peninsula years ago for coyote using a shotgun because the cover was thick and action fast. I started out with the caller in front like everyone else but a lot of times the coyote would hang up just outside of shotgun range. so I put the caller beside me which brought them in alittle closer but was able to spot me sometimes. then I got the idea of setting the caller about 30 yards behind me. worked like a charm. now when they hung up just outside of shotgun range from the caller I was in perfect range to shoot them. about the only time I put the caller in front of me now is when I use a decoy and hunt with a rifle. try putting it behind you 30 or 40 yards and see how it works out for you. I cant believe more hunters don't do it this way
Old 02-11-2020, 06:10 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

There was a lot of discussion about this subject on several forums, back before Rich Cronk passed away. His contribution and mine dealt with not wanting to do that, unless we did a setup with rear view mirrors.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiohunter View Post
I hunted a lot in michigans upper peninsula years ago for coyote using a shotgun because the cover was thick and action fast. I started out with the caller in front like everyone else but a lot of times the coyote would hang up just outside of shotgun range. so I put the caller beside me which brought them in alittle closer but was able to spot me sometimes. then I got the idea of setting the caller about 30 yards behind me. worked like a charm. now when they hung up just outside of shotgun range from the caller I was in perfect range to shoot them. about the only time I put the caller in front of me now is when I use a decoy and hunt with a rifle. try putting it behind you 30 or 40 yards and see how it works out for you. I cant believe more hunters don't do it this way
I have placed the call behind me often...with success, although it was fox....regardless, you still need to be cognizant of the wind...
Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 PM

The biggest disadvantage to calling with mouth calls or electronic calls set next to you is the fact that coyotes can "pin point sound" and you absolutely cannot get away with any movement and if they do "make" you and spook, they are usually very close in and can make for some challenging shooting...haha....That being said, if you are in a spot where setting the caller very far from you will expose you to the area being called; then by all means set the caller closer to you and concentrate on not moving. People (including myself) have and do mouth call coyotes in so it can be done. I recommend trying to approach and call a spot while taking advantage of the electronic calls ability to be set away from yourself to better conceal your "sit". Experiment, have fun and keep us informed on your progress.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:23 PM

Ohio hunter, what was the wind doing when the caller was behind you????
30-30,12 gauge shotgun
Old 02-12-2020, 04:14 PM

I prefer a crosswind, sitting toward the down wind side. never had much problem with coyotes coming from behind as I had already walked thru that area and usually the area behind me was where I had parked. did happen a couple times tho
Old 03-06-2020, 10:11 PM

I wish somebody would come up with a Remote Controlled Car(all terrain) that you could strap the Call to and send it out!
Old 03-07-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilonesome View Post
I wish somebody would come up with a Remote Controlled Car(all terrain) that you could strap the Call to and send it out!
What with all the new predator hunting gear that comes out each year I am surprised nobody has done it yet.