Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:19 PM

Hit them with the barrel, not the bullet. Lol.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:27 PM

I don't have a 22-250. but I would look for a heavier bullet and slower velocity. Never ballistic tip. For the most part, the round is traveling too fast not to blow thru the opposite side, thus making it hard to come completely apart and remain internal. Unless your shooting long range. 200yds plus or take frontal chest shots and pray they don't deflect inside the cavity and blow out. A quarter size hole is not bad at all.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:23 PM

Thanks RimRockRich, my 22-250 is also a Tikka....haha
Old 11-01-2017, 11:08 PM

Default Night Eyes

I really like the barrel hitting idea but I am having trouble getting with in barrel range....haha...I agree with your assessment and I am looking forward to shooting some other bullets just for yucks....I am not unhappy with the Sierra hollow points but I am having fun experimenting. Just finished off those hollow points today, killing a really big healthy and fat male, bet he would've weighed out near 50 pounds; so next time out we will be shooting Hornady 55 grain soft points I think...unless I can sneak within barrel range......haha
Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 AM

I'm glad you have a sense of humor. You said you have a Tikka, $$. I love using hollow points. I use 40gr.JHP in 22 Mag., 20 and 25gr. HP in my .17 HH and 85gr.BTHP in .243 I modify my shotgun slugs, and my 45cal. muzzle loader slugs.
I'm not a big fan of Ballistic tip anything. I want my round to penetrate into the vitals of whatever I'm shooting. Then completely expand and expend all its energy and never blow out the other side. Sometime you have to increase velocity, sometimes decrease. I always look at what is the bullet designed to do (kill ha ha) should say it construction. Then load some up and test them on different materials that would best simulate that of the animal.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 AM

One last thing. I know it's absolutely wonderful when you can get .25, .50 MOA at a 100 or .75 @200yds. But in my opinion if you can keep your rounds in a 3 inch group and get your bullet to do what you want it to on impact. Who cares. Seriously who tries to shoot a predator in the eye. Heck if you don't care about the fur, use a 338 L. reach out and blow a hole. They'll slide over a fence post easier.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:22 AM

Default We are in agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Eyes View Post
One last thing. I know it's absolutely wonderful when you can get .25, .50 MOA at a 100 or .75 @200yds. But in my opinion if you can keep your rounds in a 3 inch group and get your bullet to do what you want it to on impact. Who cares. Seriously who tries to shoot a predator in the eye. Heck if you don't care about the fur, use a 338 L. reach out and blow a hole. They'll slide over a fence post easier.
I am in agreement with all your thoughts except for one....as much as I dislike ripped hides, I also have no use for an inaccurate firearm. Grew up that way I guess, lol, I feel that if I miss, I want to know it was me and not some combination involving a 3 inch grouping rifle....also I need all the help I can get when it comes to accurate shooting....haha
Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 AM

Simply put. If your trying to save fur,(yes) but to do so you have to increase or decrease the velocity (ok). Now when you increase or decrease velocity your groups will change right (yes).

Ok, now,if you can keep your shots in a 3 inch group every time when you shoot. The vitals areas that your shooting at are larger then 3 inches. And if YOU can't keep your shots in a 3 inch group on a coyote then maybe you should hit him with the barrel, ha ha.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Default Night Eyes

Point well taken and I can't help but to agree.....lol