Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM

Default 22-250 Fur Freindly Load

I am always trying to develop more fur friendly loads for all my rifles, so I enlisted my sons loading expertise on some 22-250 loads; although I have not shot hundreds of coyote yet with this load, it is very consistent so far. The exit hole is between nickel and quarter size on a broadside chest shot, they don't always drop right there and the furthest traveled by one was about fifty yards after being shot; the rest either fell right there or spun around and around until dropping. The load is a 52 grain Sierra MatchKing HPBT with Fed GM210 primers and Varget Powder. I won't list powder amount as it is up to the individual to develop a safe load for their own rifle using a good reload book for reference. Sewing up an 3/4 or one inch rip is a lot faster than 3 to 6 inch rips....I am very happy with this load but have another bullet to try soon.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:16 AM

Well you can't sew up a tear if you don't make a good shot. If feel that confidence and accuracy comes before repairing a pelt. You could have a "pelt friendly" load but if you're not accurate or confident with it then what's the point? It's better to make a good, humane shot (with an appropriate caliber and bullet) than to worry about the pelt before the trigger is pulled.

On the other hand, I've had a lot of luck with Hornady lately for accuracy & dependability.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 06:49 AM

Some of the guys on this four talked me into the Serra Gameking spitzer. Had been using there HPBT in my .223. Both shoot excellent and fur friendly.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhiker View Post
Well you can't sew up a tear if you don't make a good shot. If feel that confidence and accuracy comes before repairing a pelt. You could have a "pelt friendly" load but if you're not accurate or confident with it then what's the point? It's better to make a good, humane shot (with an appropriate caliber and bullet) than to worry about the pelt before the trigger is pulled.

On the other hand, I've had a lot of luck with Hornady lately for accuracy & dependability.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Oh yes, I didn't mention how accurate the load is, it is sub moa due to having worked up to the powder grains that shot the most accurate out of my rifle (this is the major advantage of reloading). I am running 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards which is also a reflection of the accuracy (or quality of the rifle manufacture) and possibly my ability to shoot well. I am not sure what your point was but your statement is well taken although my experience with the 22-250 is that it is an effective round for coyotes and it has the ability to be very accurate along with my absolute favorite coyote rifle, an older Remington 700 with semi bull barrel in .243 (my most accurate rifle, 3/8 inch @ 100 yd.). I am not out there to kill and waste, so pelt damage is a major concern for me as is wasting time sewing up pelts not to mention that a torn pelt is not as durable and depending on where it is ripped and its intended use, it can be severally compromised. I can see some one who kills to let lay not having concern for the pelt damage, that is just not me. To each their own I say.

Last edited by Preydeception; 10-18-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:08 PM

53 vmax is great. sometimes no exit on coyotes

FOXPRO FIELD STAFF
Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 PM

I've always had good luck with the Sierra 1365 55 grain Game King BT Spitzer and the old Speer 52 grain HP in my Swift. The Speer almost never exits and the Sierra usually leaves a quarter size exit wound.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:11 AM

Default Thanks for your replies

Thank you Yotes2Call and mart for your feedback. I look forward to finding results for several loads in the near future....At least I am hoping for many kills to judge by - haha - I am limited by many variables as to how much effort I can expend....I hope you have a safe and successful season....Thanks again
Old 10-26-2017, 02:58 PM

What works for me in mine Sako 22-250 is 55 Grain Sierra Spitzer Boattails pushed by IMR 4364 powder, and as long as shooting over 75 yards extremely fur friendly.
Firestorm w/ Foxjack decoy
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails

Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings
Old 10-28-2017, 10:03 PM

Thanks Jingles
Old 10-30-2017, 05:24 PM

I have a Tikka 22-250 and tried many bullets.did a lot of research and called Sierra bullet company and talked to one of the technicians.he advised the 1365
55 gr.using a slower burning powder.I use H4350 and its a very accurate and fur
Friendly load.