Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrystrong View Post
I absolutely love .22 mag for predators, looking to buy a new .22 mag sometime soon. I have been looking at some so far I am looking at the ruger american in 22 mag I was just wondering how it would be with farther shots with different rounds how the accuracy would be? I am really picky with .22 mags & I am pretty set with a bolt action, also was really looking at the model 547 remington custom shop rimfire in 22 mag, I love remington & like how it's close to the model 700, wondering if anyone has one & how they like it? Was also wondering if anyone has a volquartsen I am really liking those as well. I want really good accuracy, Don't mind if it's a little heavy.
I use a Ruger 77/22 mag and a winchester 1885 in 22 mag with the 40 gn win super x HP works very well in both rifles , the ruger went from 1.25 in. groups to .65 @ 100 yds by simply free floating the barrel the 1885 went from 1.5 in. .6 after it had about 200 rds down the pipe , also bought a 1885 in a 17 WSM it also needed rds down range to break it in ..
Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrystrong View Post
I use winchester 40 grain power point they shoot great in my .22 lr & I have killed a few coyotes & 4 bobcats & over 100 fox this past winter. longest shot on a cat being 145 yards shot placement & good bullets is key if using a .22.
I agree. Shot placement and knowing what the bullet will do upon impact(using the proper bullet) makes all the difference in the world.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:25 PM

I run a marlin in 22 mag. The 925M to be exact. I have found there micro groove barrels to be quite accurate. I generally run CCI 40gr HPs. They are accurate and will put down coyotes, raccoon, and ground hogs within respective ranges. The most accurate round I have fired from my 22mag is Remington accutips. Those things are very accurate. I just don’t like the performance on denser animals such as yore’s.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:41 AM

swiftone, your right CCI 40grhp are way better then Rems accu.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=swiftone;83998]I run a marlin in 22 mag. The 925M to be exact. I have found there micro groove barrels to be quite accurate. I generally run CCI 40gr HPs. They are accurate and will put down coyotes, raccoon, and ground hogs within respective ranges. The most accurate round I have fired from my 22mag is Remington accutips. Those things are very accurate. I just donít like the performance on denser animals such as yoreís.[ i had the marlin 882 before i got my ruger , i still kick myself for selling the marlin it was the most accurate 22 mag i have ever seen
Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 PM

Default Marlin 925M

They aren’t the most sexiest guns, but they do shoot well. I have shot a few different 22mags and enjoy the 925M the best. I’m a huge savage fan and was not impressed at all with their rimfire rifles. I have found the TC contender in 22 mag to be quite accurate too. The 882 is the tube magazine model correct?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=swiftone;84023]They arenít the most sexiest guns, but they do shoot well. I have shot a few different 22mags and enjoy the 925M the best. Iím a huge savage fan and was not impressed at all with their rimfire rifles. I have found the TC contender in 22 mag to be quite accurate too. The 882 is the tube magazine model correct?/////////////// The 882 was a detach mag model, mine was blue with a laminate stock , i, m not sure if that was the diff between it and other models , marlin has had so many and they all seem to be tack drivers once they get a couple hundred rds down range. i am really sorry rem. took them over, rem used to make a very fine product until the Bean Counters took the manufacturing reins ..
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM

I've killed 5 fox with my CZ452 22wmr. The rifle shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100yds with CCI vmax. 3 out of 5 went down dead with one shot. the other two needed a finisher. Shot placement is key. We're limited to rimfire or smaller than .22 centerfire in this county during deer season so I went with the 22 mag for nights when I want to go out and hunt. From my experiences I can see that the 22 mag is far less destructive to pelts than my .223. I would rather hunt coyotes specifically with centerfire. That being said this CZ is one of the best rifles I own.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst319 View Post
I've killed 5 fox with my CZ452 22wmr. The rifle shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100yds with CCI vmax. 3 out of 5 went down dead with one shot. the other two needed a finisher. Shot placement is key. We're limited to rimfire or smaller than .22 centerfire in this county during deer season so I went with the 22 mag for nights when I want to go out and hunt. From my experiences I can see that the 22 mag is far less destructive to pelts than my .223. I would rather hunt coyotes specifically with centerfire. That being said this CZ is one of the best rifles I own.
That's awesome. We have the same restriction here. I love my 22 mag, but had one too many farther shots that I passed on. As a fur hunter, I diligently searched for almost three years for something that would not blow a hole in a fox at 20yds and yet put a coyote down at 200yds. I checked out the 22-250, 223, .204, 17 rem, 17 hornet and 17 Bmag. I found that the 17 Hornet could do that, but I would also need to reload. I bought the CZ 17 Hornet Varmint . I experimented with different reloads. I have put down all the red & gray fox as well as coyotes with one shot drops. The biggest coyote to date was 53lbs. at a 172 yds. No bs dropped in his tracks with out even a twitch. The shot went thru his shoulder and blew his vitals. I had my first sew job this year, it was a gray fox that was jaw and throat shot, about an inch hole. On all the rest there has not been any pass thru and you can not find a hole until you skin them.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:56 PM

Anyone tried the Federal 50 grain loads? How much range can you get for clean,one shot kills with 22 agnaum?