Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
I love my 77/17 WSM it is very accurate and a great shooter, at the time they discontinued production I thought it would be nice to have a 77/44 for hunting in lower Michigan.
Then shortly after I found out Randys Gun shop in Bad Ax, MI had Ruger manufacture a batch of stainless American 450 Bushmasters and picked up one of them instead.
Randy sent a few of the 22" barrel versions to Mag-Na-Port and had the barrels cut down to 16" and fitted with their muzzle breaks and they are fantastic rifles
and very accurate as well.

i have just purchased a win. 1885 in 17wsm. the fella had woman trouble and needed money so it was very reasonable price . i bought a pee pot full of the win 20gn vmax rd and have been plopping a few magpies , gophers are done for this year but we fully intend to lay a beating on them next year, my hunting buddy observed the spectacular performance of my rifle and decided he better have one so he laid out over 1700 ca. and says he wished they would have had this 40 yr a go before he started reloading
Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 PM

Default 17 Wsm

Sounds like you picked up a winner, I also looked at that rifle and like it a lot, the only downside was the price.
Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending a little more for a quality rifle, but at the time I purchased my Ruger it was almost double and I also wanted to put a quality scope on it as well (Leupold VX-3i 4.5x14x50) and it would have broke the bank.
I purchased mine for night hunting yotes here in lower Michigan, I live in the limited firearms deer zone that limit you to rimfire, (Nighttime take with centerfire rifles is prohibited on all state parks and recreation areas statewide, and all state game areas within the limited firearm deer zone) and most of the state land in my area are state parks or state recreation area's.
We can hunt with center fire on private land but I only have a few places to do that, but back to the topic sounds like you got a great deal on a quality rifle.
I did find a dealer on Gunbroker that had Federal 20gr varmint tipped ammo for around 12.50 a box if you buy a case of 10 boxes with free shipping, if I,m not mistaken it was Northern Firearms.
Again congrats on a great find.
Mark
T/C Encore Pro Hunter Predator 22/250
Old 10-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you picked up a winner, I also looked at that rifle and like it a lot, the only downside was the price.
Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending a little more for a quality rifle, but at the time I purchased my Ruger it was almost double and I also wanted to put a quality scope on it as well (Leupold VX-3i 4.5x14x50) and it would have broke the bank.
I purchased mine for night hunting yotes here in lower Michigan, I live in the limited firearms deer zone that limit you to rimfire, (Nighttime take with centerfire rifles is prohibited on all state parks and recreation areas statewide, and all state game areas within the limited firearm deer zone) and most of the state land in my area are state parks or state recreation area's.
We can hunt with center fire on private land but I only have a few places to do that, but back to the topic sounds like you got a great deal on a quality rifle.
I did find a dealer on Gunbroker that had Federal 20gr varmint tipped ammo for around 12.50 a box if you buy a case of 10 boxes with free shipping, if I,m not mistaken it was Northern Firearms.
Again congrats on a great find.
Mark
I was out yesterday for a hike with the dog and the 1885 and came across a herd of magpiles and ravens arguing over a deer carcass i managed to silence 2 maggies and and 1 raven, while waiting for the turkey i came across a 1885 for sale on canadian gun nutz in 22 win mag so i bought it aswell should have it in a week i will report back here after i test its performance
Old 10-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyguns View Post
I was out yesterday for a hike with the dog and the 1885 and came across a herd of magpiles and ravens arguing over a deer carcass i managed to silence 2 maggies and and 1 raven, while waiting for the turkey i came across a 1885 for sale on canadian gun nutz in 22 win mag so i bought it aswell should have it in a week i will report back here after i test its performance
So I went to Canadian gun nutz ( looks like a Gun forum site for Canadian's )
also have you received your .22mag yet ?
looking forward to your review.
T/C Encore Pro Hunter Predator 22/250
Old 10-22-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
So I went to Canadian gun nutz ( looks like a Gun forum site for Canadian's )
also have you received your .22mag yet ?
looking forward to your review.
i have received the 22 mag and it has excellant accuracy to 100 yds. // that was as far as ive tested so far// i shot 3x 4 shot groups using win. 40 gn hp smallest group .68 largest was 1.16 the only problem i had was fired case extraction they werent sticking they just werent being kicked free of the rifle i tried some new cci ammo because the cases were new and shiny and the win ammo is stuff i have had for several yrs the cci ejected fine so i think maybe over time the win ammo is picking up some corrosion from the air or my storage locker // the wind had picked up to 25- 30 mph so i packed up and went home/ the wind has been crazy here for the last 10 days