Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > FOXPRO Products > FOXPRO Digital Game Calls

FOXPRO Digital Game Calls Discuss all FOXPRO digital game calls in this forum. Open to all models offered by FOXPRO Inc. Questions, comments, advice, etc.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:54 PM

Default Hellfire troubles.

Been running a Hellfire for a few years now. This season, seems like I’m having more issues with chirps and skips while playing. Running fox pro rechargeable batteries that I charge on a La Crosse charger. Batteries seem like they’re in good condition, but this chirp and skip thing is bothersome.

Seems to be worse on “busy” sounds like the fox distress, or when playing at high volume.

Any ideas out there?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:56 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Sounds like a battery problem to me. I'd contact the techs at Foxpro though to make sure.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:00 PM

May have to make that call. Got out my multimeter yesterday, all the rechargeables tested 1.23-1.25V fresh from the call after it had failed that morning.

Dropped in a fresh set of Alkalines that tested 1.45-1.53v and had similar issues within 5 minutes of calling.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:34 PM

Exclamation

Long time lurker, new to posting but not to new to FOXPRO callers.

It honestly sounds like you have a file system and or memory card corruption issue. This issue can present itself in different ways, but the normal one is noises or digital like noises within sounds or sometimes when a sound starts over. It may also seem like a sound skips...

Dead batteries can cause similar things to happen through audio or timing issues. However, a battery event can create the issue itself, meaning if the batteries fell WELL below dead and into deep discharge or there was corrosion present at some point. I am basing this off of the description given, I cant say for sure without the caller here to verify this as the exact issue. Unfortunately the caller, remote and batteries would have to be sent in for full diagnosis, if it is the corruption issue the caller would need a new card and a fresh sound list to resolve the issue.

On the subject of batteries...
Its important to understand that just testing a battery with a DVM or DMM does not really tell you much. Battery voltage should always be inspected under some type of load, that will give you a clearer understanding of the batteries health. A battery can idle at 1.4V by itself and look ok, however when it is in use a voltage drop happens and current draw present. If there is a capacity issue within the battery... voltage will dramatically fall very quickly.
Here at FOXPRO I actually test customer batteries with a device that I built that applies a 1K ohm load, its at least enough to sniff out most issues with batteries. At home if you don’t have electronics tools and parts laying around, you could possibly use your caller as the load and it should catch most issues or provide a better health update of your batts.

Example:
Plug your batteries into your caller.
Turn on the caller, select a sound and volume up to half way with all speakers playing (and the attached decoy running if your caller has one)

You have NOW created a load on your battery pack!
Using your Digital Voltage Meter or Multi-Meter, test the battery pack by back-probing the tray or connector while the caller is playing.
This is a better idea of the health of your battery pack.

As an experiment, remember your voltage reading under load. Now turn the caller of and unhook the pack, test again setting idle without a load applied and you will quickly see the difference, especially if the pack is nearing dead or has an issue.

I hope this helps with the issue, I also hope it helps in gaining a more precise reading on testing batteries as well.
Dave@gofoxpro.com

"Freedom is not free! we must fight every day, in every way, to protect the future of this great nation."