Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > General Discussion > Fireside Chat

Fireside Chat Open Discussion Forum. Join us around our fire for every day chit chat.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
Getting 25 in the round here in North central WA.
That is a great deal for someone who doesn't want to mess with them! There are times when I would take advantage of that deal myself; if I knew of a local source here that would pay that and take 'em....haha....thanks for sharing.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preydeception View Post
Very nice, the next tan I would like to do is a brain tanning. I have kept half dozen coyote brains frozen and ready for when I get that pelt I like. I would like to tan a badger also. Good luck with your tanning projects and if you would; share them here; I would like to read them and see some pics. haha
Will do. Starting to get a break in the weather here so the deer frame will be put up soon, then on to fur. Ill take pics.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:33 PM

Default Fur Prices December 2018

So, I give the fur buyer a call to gain an idea on pricing this season; the receptionist on the other end says: "It is early, top price being paid right now is $60.00"; but having apprehension about China, the tariffs and a possible drop in the markets drives me to make an appointment to sell some fur. Wanting a little spending doe in the pockets; I take 11 coyotes to my "country buyer" hoping for the best. What I mean by that statement is; fur buyers like to use rhetoric like:" It is early, they are just filling in; not sure where the market is this season"....and I suspect, that these before Christmas statements, are more about keeping their money close to the vest during the holidays than anything else....hahaha... But, when he looked at my fur he says:" Are these hold overs from last season?" As he strokes the fur; I say: "No, recent " ; he looks down the inside to view the skin side for confirmation; then remarks as he did last spring: "You sure fleshed these well, and put them up nice; I don't have to do anything to 'em"; then he remarks that he has bought some fur recently that was not so nice (greasy, dirty, not attractively put up, etc.)

It pays off when you go to sell your furs to spend a little extra effort to make your pelts more attractive.

He looks them over, makes three different graded piles and says: "Would you take $430 for 'em?"

I pause in thought awhile, then look him in the eyes and tell him....."You can do a little better than that."; he thinks it over and says: "I can pay a little more for these 5 here but I am taking a little risk on it" at which I say: "Look, I brought 'em to ya, which cost me a pretty penny in fuel"; then he nods in agreement, laughs and says after some thought: "Would you do $500.00?" After a short thinking on it spell, I reply yes, if you can throw in a tail for my grand daughter (she requested one this year) Her brother got one from grandpa last year....haha.....He frowns like I am beating him up a bit, but then agrees....Easiest $70.00 I made that day, with a tail thrown in for good measure.

The break down in pricing was: 5 yotes @ $60.00 each; 3 @ $35.00 each and 3 @ $25.00

I really like my fur buyer (nice fella with a good personality). He does have thoughts of it being a strong season $ for good coyote pelts....Lets hope he is correct and they go up to $100.00 for Northern Heavies again.

Here is to wishing for all of you a good, safe, hunting season, with a very merry Christmas to all.