Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Default Foxpro for deer

How do you guys use your callers on Whitetail Deer? I'm in an area that has a lot of does and one bruiser buck along with a few small bucks. I have a doe permit and would like to call one in but I have no idea how to do it Do you use a doe bleat? Grunt? Call continuous? Call for 10 seconds and stop? So many questions and after a lot of searching so few answers
Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 PM

This is a difficult question to answer because it can be different in any given area. I will tell you that I have harvested 15 deer already with mine and a few of them are of course trophy Illinois bucks. If you are trying to call a Doe in this is how and when I do it to have success. If it is early season like the first 3 weeks of October, I use a fawn bleat. Not the fawn bawl. The fawn bawl I have called innumerous coyotes with and only one Doe. The Doe I called in was in the 2nd week of November during firearm season and you could tell she was a Doe that had recently lost a fawn. The key to my success when calling whitetails is that I don't BLIND call. There is one exception to blind calling. If it is the rut and I hear a buck or a deer in the timber then I will blind call to get it to respond. The best thing to do for me is when I see a whitetail that I want to call in I turn the caller on the sound I want and then I increase the volume slowly until I see the deer respond by looking or it's body language. Once I know I have the deer's attention I will play the sound just a few time and then turn it off. If the deer starts to come my direction, depending on the speed of the deer I may elect to play it again but softer. The other thing I do is, I turn the call in different directions as it plays creating movement in the sound. The deer then thinks the deer (the call) is moving around. When it comes in to investigate, I pop it! This is just one of many examples. If you ever need any tips feel free to contact me. In the mean time here is a video to watch. These deer were about 297 yards from me and I called them all within 30 yards and one gets the business side of a Muzzy broadhead on a carbon express Maxima. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FChjHaatSzY