FOXPRO Forums

FOXPRO Forums (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/index.php)
-   Feline Hunting (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Cougars (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/showthread.php?t=14886)

Jingles 01-01-2020 07:16 PM

Cougars

Well yesterday started with an individual reporting that their Border collie got taken and killed by a cougar at 8:45 while they were hiking along a trail. Then at about 14.30 I got a call from a friend that a cougar tried coming through their sliding glass door after their dog. I made it from my place to their place in "record time" found the cougars tracks in the snow where it was running from home owner. Found the tracks in the snow and from leading edge of front track to back edge of back track where it touched down again was 8 feet 4 inches with the track 5 3/4 inches wide.
Followed the tracks for 2 hours until it was just to dark to see them anymore without a light, (forgot it in my haste to get on the way to my friends). Damn cat had to go uphill for 2 hrs.
Went back this morning (0830) following a night filled with freezing rain and picked up where I left off still going UP hill wish I was reporting it was successful but after 3.5 hrs of tracking up the side of a mountain in calf deep crusted snow all I succeeded in doing was finding where it bedded down under another houses porch.
Called it quits at 1200 to start back to the truck and go home have lunch and give my body a break. All this mountain climbing is getting rough on these ole bones with bad knees
Talking to the Gammie last night when I called it quits he advised me he has had 14 cougars incident reports in the last 2 days

DAA 01-01-2020 07:23 PM

People have been having them show up around their houses in the Salt Lake area quite a bit lately too. Hungry, I guess.

Ice those knees Vern!

- DAA

Preydeception 01-01-2020 08:00 PM

I have awoken to the fact that they are nothing to be played with! I intend to take them very seriously from now on.

Weasel 01-01-2020 08:01 PM

I got a call this morning from a friend in Texas. She had one run past her and scare the crap out of her last night.

Jingles 01-01-2020 09:15 PM

Thanks or the comments and encouragement guys Glad it is New Years don't need an excuse for the medicinal cocktails Gotta love that Crown. If anyone wants to offer any suggestions on best way to eliminate this cat they would be GREATLY appreciated.

rainshadow1 01-02-2020 07:04 PM

Sounds like it's a fairly well acclimated mountain neighborhood cat... (They don't go fast, but boy they sure can keep on walking!) I'd say best technique is to make sure plenty of those neighbors know your phone number! Running hard on a track works, but it was on to you, I'll bet a dollar.

Was it under the porch watching its back trail? They do that.

Jingles 01-03-2020 10:13 AM

Rainshadow1 thanks for the tips however at 70 + years old just climbing up the side if the damn mountain in snow is bad enough let alone trying to run up it, Hell I gave up running when I realized had God intended us to run we never would of evolved to WALK upright on 2 legs instead of 4.

No it wasn't under the porch as I not only looked but climbed under it to make sure, with the S & W 686 357 mag leading the way.

rainshadow1 01-03-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingles (Post 90316)
Rainshadow1 thanks for the tips however at 70 + years old just climbing up the side if the damn mountain in snow is bad enough let alone trying to run up it, Hell I gave up running when I realized had God intended us to run we never would of evolved to WALK upright on 2 legs instead of 4.

No it wasn't under the porch as I not only looked but climbed under it to make sure, with the S & W 686 357 mag leading the way.

I hear that! I'm just creeping in on 50 and I don't think I'll be doing too much running around the Rimrock or the Nile! A steady walk is enough for me!

Jingles 01-10-2020 01:39 AM

Well looks like I don't need to go to the woods to hunt cougar had one 2 blocks from the house today right at dusk. Might need to take the rifle with me when I let the dogs out before going to bed and first thing in the morning

DogFool 01-10-2020 02:47 PM

Now that is a different type of House Cat ! :eek: